Baby has one lop ear?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love.the.bunnies

Reaction score
Just today I noticed that our biggest baby has one lop ear? I'm pretty sure He doesn't have the lop gene down the line. But I'm so confused. The rest of the babies have straight up ears. Then this little boy has one lop ear.. What could it be?:?

Wish I could help. No lop eared bunnies here. Hoping someone who has experience with this will chime in.

K

love.the.bunnies wrote:
I mean it's pretty cute. But I just wanna know How he got it.. Neither of his parents have loppy ears. o.o
I call them wonky ears because they are so cute too. I hope one of the breeders can give you some information on this. My genetics has shown me that anything is possible and it depends how long the genetic line is. Anything can pop up. They are doing so much research on rabbits now, other than cosmetics, because they see that the population is growing.

But genetics are just that, genetics. Hoping someone can shed more light for you.

K

I think that's the cutest thing. Our buck has lop ears. The first litter had no lops in it. The second litter resulted in one lop that looks just like the buck and another whose ears lop part of the time and yet a third with one lop ear. It struck me as funny considering none of the first litter had any lops.

I bet your little one is cute! :)

Sometimes a rabbit with erect ears will have a weak ear base, causing the rabbit's ear to flop. They don't have the ear control necessary to keep it up. I believe it's a DQ in almost any breed, but would have to check the SoP to say for sure. And the same works in reverse for a lop eared breed to have erect ears...they have too much ear control, and can keep it up. Again, in a lop it would be a DQ. And if you watch the holland lops while they're getting ready to show, the owners spend a LOT of time mashing their ears down, to make them appear as flat as possible.

This was a couple days ago:

IMG_20120624_193030.jpg

And he got his Wonky Wonk ear yesterday:

IMG_20120709_200723.jpg

IMG_20120709_200821.jpg

TO CUTE!! :D

He has beautiful harlequin markings. And Blue eyes. And His wonky ear kinda flaps when he walks! I have to post pictures of the other kits! They are all so cute!

TOTALLY AGREE WITH WENDY.

Weak ear base is what I was going to say also. I was comment taking for a Flemish when one got DQd for weak ear base but both were like airplanes and wouldnt hold up all the way. I think it is genetic but I am pretty sure heat/weather wouldn't have anything to do with it.

My bunny's brother has a semi-flop thing going on, too. He's the one I really wanted, but he sold first while I was taking a couple more days to research and "decide". He's super cute:

555535_3292323238686_1366196943_n.jpg

He's very relaxed here after I held him and snuggled a few minutes, but when he was alert, only his right ear would stand up. His left ear could only lift up part way.

HolyHandGrenade wrote:
My bunny's brother has a semi-flop thing going on, too. He's the one I really wanted, but he sold first while I was taking a couple more days to research and "decide". He's super cute:

555535_3292323238686_1366196943_n.jpg

He's very relaxed here after I held him and snuggled a few minutes, but when he was alert, only his right ear would stand up. His left ear could only lift up part way.

Could you kindly tell me (if you know) what breed of rabbit this is, he looks exactly like my new one (color, ears, everything) :biggrin: and I can't work out his breed :( I'd be so so greatfull I had to join the forum to ask as soon as I saw :)

<--- Bunny info here :D

I looked at your other post, and I think (but could be wrong) that you'd know by now if you had a flemish giant. Your bunny looks really small (compared to mine, who is only 10 weeks old and is huuuuuge)

Latest posts

Back