Baby Gates

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't used this but I like! It sure beats having to jump over the one I currently have.

Definitely have to measure the openings...

The space where I need one is 51"so this one should fit. The best part is you don't have to mount itto the wall.

I currently use NIC grids zip-tied together. It's not very reliable when somebunny REALLY wants in the other room and I always worry about them knocking it over on themselves.

That is a really good looking baby gate! I agree though, the "bar spacing" does seem quite wide. Maybe they have one at your local Wal Mart that you could go check out in person? I'm imagining you sneaking the bunny into the store to see if her head will fit between the bars! What kind of baby gate are you using now? I ask because we're using a baby gate I constructed out of NIC panels, which isn't the sturdiest thing ever...

It looks like we posted at the same time. Yeah, I'm using NIC grids. It's a pain.

OMG, I can just see Penny getting loose in the Wal-Mart store! I'd probably find her in the produce section, munching for all she's worth!

Wow thats expensive Laura!

I use one I got at Walmart for 20.00 and its great. Its plastic- but a very thick plastic that the bunnies cant chew through. Lucy and Tumnus can chew through anything but not this. I cant find the pic on their website. I can check for you when I get home to see what brand it is though if you'd like..

Snuggys Mom wrote:
I currently use NIC grids zip-tied together.
That's what Iuse to block the entrance (NIC type of grids). I have a step stool placed on the outside of the pen to step up and over the grids.

One Redneck Engineered
Rhinoceros Rated
$9.00 Rabbit Gate

gateresize.jpg

-Notes from install day June 07.
Made from some hardwood shipping lumber, a piece of screen I've had for over 20 years, hinges & a gate latch (That's the $9.00 part).
This was the test install. My plan is to replace the gate screws with bolts and wingnuts to allow for fast removal during the day.
Not real shiny, but light, easy-to-use, and safe to chew.

-Update November 07.

Gate screws were never replaced because the gate was so easy to use. Doorframe was touched up and the latch moved closer to top for easier use.

This is the one that I have. It is only $20 at Toysrus. the only problem I have is that you can't adjust the gripsso one side doesn't reach the wall because of the baseboard. Also, you have to have some strength to lock it into place. for $20, it does the job. I would like to eventually get one that the door swings open though.

pTRU1-3416072reg.jpg

Mine chew through that hard plastic, Haley.

My problem is that my space is about 51" and that's BIG. Those standard gates don't work.

I'm tired of constantly monitoring "the border". They used to be fine, but suddenly Snuggy wants to go over and tease and provoke Penny and Shadow. She's so bad.

I don't want to do separate play times because it would really limit their free time.

We're considering getting a baby gate that swings open like a door, too, and taking some plexiglass and drilling holes in it so we can zip tie it to the gate...will that work?

Not only that, but you can buy a bottom part of a dutch door...:D

We just made an extra door in my room. So the bunnies can be locked off one side. I wish I had some pics.

I have one that is very similar but it's white. When we first got it Lucy could squeeze through the slots so I went to Home Depot and bought heavy white chain on a spool I think it was about 25.00 which was enough to do two gate. I tooks links of the chain and zip tied them to the top and bottom of the gate so that she couldn't squeeze through the slots basically making extra poles out of chain. It works great and since it swings open there is no more stepping over. Joy

DSC01327.jpg

If the openings are too wide, you could always add some NIC grids to it with zip ties. Looking at the picture with the mom/baby, they do look rather wide.

Wow, Spoh, that's so clever! It looks sort of sassy, too. Good for you!

maherwoman wrote:
We're considering getting a baby gate that swings open like a door, too, and taking some plexiglass and drilling holes in it so we can zip tie it to the gate...will that work?

Not only that, but you can buy a bottom part of a dutch door...:D

I've been thinking along similar lines, Maherwoman. A fantastic local shelter built pens for their rabbits using plexiglass and they look really great! If I can figure it out and if the plexiglass is easy to work with and not too expensive, I'd really like to go for it.

I had also been thinking of using dutch doors as an attractive gate alternative, but I haven't found any online. Have you?

Ha! Not "Redneck", "Creative" I think is the right term here! Perhaps I am a bit prejudiced, though as my entire rabbit setup is comprised of JB Wholesale exercise pens and similar homemade solutions to the gate problem.

Has anyone else out there built their own pens or gates from lumber, wire or screen, or plexiglass? I'd love to see some more pictures like this! I'd like to trade my current setup for something just as efficient and easy to clean, but attractive.

Johncdn wrote:
One Redneck Engineered
Rhinoceros Rated
$9.00 Rabbit Gate

gateresize.jpg

-Notes from install day June 07.
Made from some hardwood shipping lumber, a piece of screen I've had for over 20 years, hinges & a gate latch (That's the $9.00 part).
This was the test install. My plan is to replace the gate screws with bolts and wingnuts to allow for fast removal during the day.
Not real shiny, but light, easy-to-use, and safe to chew.

-Update November 07.

Gate screws were never replaced because the gate was so easy to use. Doorframe was touched up and the latch moved closer to top for easier use.

Latest posts

Back