Baby Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalballl

Reaction score
I want to go tomorrow and pick up everything I need for when I take Holly in to get spayed on Thursday. I'm just wondering, what kind of baby food should I buy to keep on hand?! I do have plain pumpkin, I always keep that around. But I'm not sure which baby food?!

Thanks

Crystal

My rabbits LOVE banana baby food - or banana/strawberry baby food or there is one that looks sort of reddish that is Bananas and Berries.

I also have some that love carrots...and others that can't stand it.

Peg

It's in case the bun doesn't feel like eating after the spay/neuter...helps promote eating, while at the same time at least putting SOMETHING in their tummy. That way they don't go into GI Stasis. It's usually combined with Nutri-Cal or some such that also promotes eating.

~Tracey~ wrote:
Why do they eat baby food?

Oh thanks for that i never knew that. Can it be fed for other reasons like if you have a new bunny that is not eating?

Willow's been eating baby food because he's been real sick with Coccidia and wasn't eating his pellets. I've been buying the Gerber brand and I've gotten organic carrots, banana's, oatmeal banana, apples, vegetable medley (which is some squash and a few other veggies), and the fruit mixture which is apples, strawberries and banana's. He absolutely adores every flavor, but the organic carrots are his favorite.

I give them baby food if I'm giving meds to help disguise the taste. I also use baby food and pedialyte (without meds) to train them to take the syringe ... while they're still healthy.

I can go up to most of my adults and hold the syringe to their door and they'll come to the door and take it from the syringe....without fighting...because they've used the syringe (sometimes about once a month) to get "treats" of baby food or pedialyte..

Peg

~Tracey~ wrote:

great idea on getting them use to a syringe. None of my adults are so i think I will start doing that so if I ever need to syringe them it won't be so hard.

i use baby food to disguise the antibiotics and enchinacea my rabbit is currently on. for her i use carrot,oatmeal/apple, banana, banana strawberries, pear/pineapple, and vegetable medley.

Great idea! Maybe we should start getting the girls used to taking syringes with baby food now??

TinysMom wrote:
I give them baby food if I'm giving meds to help disguise the taste. I also use baby food and pedialyte (without meds) to train them to take the syringe ... while they're still healthy.

I can go up to most of my adults and hold the syringe to their door and they'll come to the door and take it from the syringe....without fighting...because they've used the syringe (sometimes about once a month) to get "treats" of baby food or pedialyte..

Peg

~Tracey~ wrote:

Latest posts

Back