BABY FEMALE AND ADULT MALE BUN

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zee_22

Reaction score
Good day my fellow bun-lovers.

We have had a male Netherlands Dwarf bun for almost 2 years. We recently decided to get him a friend so that he wouldn't be alone. We adopted a female, baby Netherlands Dwarf bun 2 weeks ago. We know that they need to be neutered in order to live together in harmony but due to our Nationwide lockdown, spaying and neutering are not considered an essential service and therefore we cannot do it. They have bonded so well and they are such good friends, BUT, yesterday our male just suddenly went crazy and started to mount her. She literally runs away from him to one of us (humans) for help. Our male bun has his own little mansion and the baby bun is kept separately in her own hutch.
We don't know what has triggered this because she is only 8 weeks old. I tried to google if she has been giving off a scent but I cannot seem to find any answers. Can anyone please help?

The answer is relativly simple: You've got a happy, healthy intact male bunny in his prime there. He doesn't need a reason for humping another rabbit, it's what his instincts are all about. Now that he found out that feels right this isn't going to stop anytime soon. My 4yo buck pesters his spayed cuddlebun, patiently hopping away, for hours each day, it does get better in winter and summer, but it doesn't stop. He has health problems that I suspect to contribute to that though. Some bucks even use stuffed toys, human body parts, even cats and chicken are not unheard of :D.

My bucks usually get along great with kits, guess it's individual when he considers a doe fair game.

Mine is most active in the morning and evening, it's much better during the day and the night. Impossible to predict how your bucks behaviour will develop over the years, but getting him neutered might make the does life a lot less annoying.

Since being humped is a social indignity too, depending on the does character, that can lead to some problems when she matures and becomes a dickheaded adolescent. Now she's quite likely somewhat confused about it.
I would get him neutered when it is possible, and see how they get along then. It takes up to 6 weeks for his hormones to dissipate after neutering, so behaviour might not change from one day to the next.

He's a good boy though, since you don't complain about him spraying everything :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back