Baby Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melbatst

Reaction score
I had an unfortunate delivery by my cat last night - a beautiful baby bunny brought into my dining room.

The bunny seems health - is not injured - only the size of my hand.

What can I do to keep it healthy - I'm afraid that it is too small to just let out in the backyard.

Any suggestions welcome!

I can't give you to much advice on this. The bestthing to do is find a website dedicated to wild rabbits. There are someout there, I had the same thing happen to me a while ago. We found anest of baby bunnies and thought they needed our help. We were told bythe experts that if it is a wild bunny and the ears are up and eyes areopen it is big eneough to survive on it's own. Yes they are still solittle when they can be on there own. So if it's ears are up it canjust be let go. A nice place to let it go if you live in a city orsuburb is in a cemetary. Nice and quite with minimal traffic. Good luck!

Fergi's mom

Welcome Melbatst,

Are it's eyes open? Too bad you don't know where the nest is.

Wild rabbits don't generally do well in captivity. If it's eyes aren'topen, contact your local animal rehabber and they'll be better able togive it what it needs.

Fergi's right. If it's eyes are open, it will most likely survive anddo well. Generally rabbits wean their babies around 5 weeks old, wildone's wean even sooner than that.

-Carolyn

Thanks, I've got calls and emails out to the local resources - her/his eyes are open, but I haven't seen the "ears up" -

Let us know if you don't hear from the local rehabbers later on this evening.
Rabbits feed their babies once a day and it's usually at dawn, around5:00. If the little one is still with you, you may want to give it asmall dosage of a kitten milk substitute.

You really did the best thing you could by calling the wildliferehabilitators. Generally speaking, if the eyes are open, it's cansurvive on it's own.

-Carolyn

If I don't hear from anyone tonight - I don'tthink I want to let it go in the dark - with my luck, the cat willbring it right back!

What do you suggest I try to feed it for the evening?

Melinda

Hi Malbatst,

No. Don't have to feed the little one tonight. You could put a bowl ofwater down though as the little one might be a bit thirsty. :)

Truth be told, rabbits can see better in much darker light than we can.They usually sleep all day and are most active at dawn and dusk.

When you do set it free, keep the cat in the house for a while to givethe little one a chance to get away. Rabbits usually don't wander farfrom their burrows because they can't handle running long distances.Chances are good that you might spot the little one running aroundafter he/she's set free.

The time when s/he'll be ready for food is in the morning.

-Carolyn

Make sure s/he doesn't get near electrical wires. Rabbits love chewingon them and will electricute itself if you're not careful.

Thank you so much - I just didn't want to do thewrong thing. Fortunately my husband is around - or I wouldhave skipped work today, built a hutch and had her moving in!

Mel

Melbatst,

You Rock.

:dude:

What's going on at the house? Did you hear from the rehabbers? It'sillegal in the US to keep wild animals though. It's actually protectingthe animals from us more than it is prosecuting the people. Ourintentions are just, but the wild life is better left alone. :?

There's plenty of great rabbits in a shelter that desperately need homes if you've taken a liking to the long ears!

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back