Baby Bunny vs. Heat ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

350nr

Reaction score
I recently got a small Dwarf bunny couple days ago and this afternoon we took him outside for about 20 mins to get some sun and fresh air. But after we brought him back into the house and into his cage, he just collapsed and was breathing very fast.

I dont know if that is normal(?) because he was tired or maybe he was dehydrated and was too hot? it was about 90 degrees outside today.

I thought he was sick and was about to die, but after about 5-10 min she got up started behaving normal and drank water. thank god!! he did give us a scare!

My question is, how long can a small bunny stay in heat without getting sick? or am i not suppose to take him outside at all?

Thanks guys!

Here is the little rascal that gave us the scare today

playboy1fitfb9.jpg

What was the temperature difference between inside the house and outside the house?

They shouldn't have more than a 40 degree change in temperature - although I doubt you had that much of a difference.

I'd be kinda careful about taking a younger rabbit outside if it is used to inside...how old is your baby?

I hope someone else has better advice - I'm in Texas but my rabbits are indoors (ok - so some go outside to play when it is under 80 degrees).

Peg

my house is probably 70 degrees, so it was about 20 - 25 degrees difference.

Yeah, i dont think im going to take him outside anymore till he gets little bit bigger and older.

He is about 2 months old.

Thanks for your help peg! :)

Your little guy reminds me of Tony, a foster I had last summer.

I would just keep the little guy inside or only outside in the shade. Rabbits can over heat easily. I generally only take mine outside when there's lots of shade and it's not too hot,evenings are good.

Make sure he has water when he's outside too. Just bring a little dish with you.

--Dawn

Rabbits don't tolerate hot weather very well and should never be put in direct sun. Hot, humid weather is especially dangerous.

Pam

Latest posts

Back