Baby bunny trouble

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sav.danielle

Reaction score
my bunny is about 8 weeks old and I’ve had him for only 4 days and he has been a social bunny hopping everywhere and having a good time and I always keep a close eye on him but today he has barely moved and I have to pick him up and put the water to him for him to drink and he will nibble on hay and doesn’t want any of his food and he seem lethargic he just lays there I’m very worried about him please help

If he's not hardly eating, drinking, or pooping, it sounds like he is experiencing pain of some sort. This is the first sign usually, that there is something wrong with a rabbit. Could he have gotten injured at all? Or was he given any foods that are new to him(veggies, treats, new brand of pellets, etc). Most often this behavior is caused by an upset stomach often from gas pain, which can end up being a very serious matter with rabbits if they don't start eating normally again within 12 hours or if you see signs of watery or pudding like diarrhea. If there are signs of actual diarrhea where the rabbit is no longer producing normal round fecal balls, this is considered an emergency and you need to get your bun to a rabbit vet immediately.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I will usually try baby gas drops(simethicone). Maybe a 1/4-1/2 ml for a small rabbit, once every hour for 3 hours. That usually gets my buns eating again. If he doesn't start eating again and it's been 12-24 hours since he last ate a significant amount, you need to get him to a rabbit vet. If his belly looks abnormally distended with bloat, get him to a rabbit vet immediately.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

His poop is round but they are sticking together. And no all he has had is alphalfa hay and young bunny food nothing had changed at all but thank you so much for the advise I’m so worried about him

If they are sticking together it might be cecotropes droppings: https://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rabbit-info/rabbit-poo

Many miss judge cecotropes droppings for diarrhea, on the link it’s a little about the two different droppings rabbits have.

But it sound quite bad, you need to get your kit to a vet. Does the stomach feel hard, it might indicate gas as the problem, have you changed the pellet when you bought your rabbit.

When rabbits switch pellets or are you feeding the same pellets as the breeder gave the rabbit. If you aren’t then that might be why your rabbit eating habits changed. It’s dangerous changing a rabbits diet especially when they are kits without introducing it slowly to the rabbit. A different kind pellet from before can make the rabbits stomach upset fast. But that’s only if you have changed the diet from what your rabbit was used with before.

Different kind of hay and different kind of pellets, can make a rabbits stomach upset and cause pain if they get gas. My rabbit have those problems when I switch hay or pellets but he’s really sensitive. So every day I feel his stomach and make sure to watch his droppings, for signs that indicate gas in the stomach.

Last edited:
Was thinking about your bunny the last few days. It sounds similar to what we went through when our bunny was 5 months. She was peeing and pooping everywhere. Like it was insane. She seemed distraught over it as she had perfect habits. She stopped eating eat and was just laying around even in her own mess. Turns out the vets thinks the alfalfa hay and pellets caused to much calcium and gut issues. We were giving her to many treats with seeds even thought the pet store swore everything we were doing was good for her. 400$ vet visit and fingered crossed she would make it through the night with meds and critical care. I switched hay and pellets and bought all organic veggies and herbs for her. I slept on the floor outside her pen with my hand through the fence. Within 3 days she was improving. Her poops looked good again and she was eating her droppings like she was supposed to. Keep critical care and pain meds for rabbits on hand. It's so worth it. Hope your baby is on the med.
they told us she had stasis.which is deadly for rabbits.

Given the age and behavior I think he’s having gut issues. Stress can play a big part in the health of a youngster, and changing their environment qualifies as a stress factor. Hopefully it won’t advance to diarrhea. Do you have Timothy or grass hay you can give him? I would push that and stop or reduce the pellets temporarily.

Latest posts

Back