Baby bunny stopped eating hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Moose

Reaction score
For some reason my baby bunny isn't eating his hay. He was when we first brought him home, but now he is just eating pellets. His poops seem normal and he is drinking normally.

Maybe remove the pellets for a while and leave him a big handful of fresh hay. See if he eats it then. They should only have roughly a teaspoon of pellets a day. Their main diet should be hay. So hopefully that might help if he hasn’t got access to pellets all the time.
he’s adorable! X

Maybe remove the pellets for a while and leave him a big handful of fresh hay. See if he eats it then. They should only have roughly a teaspoon of pellets a day. Their main diet should be hay. So hopefully that might help if he hasn’t got access to pellets all the time.
he’s adorable! X

Thank you for the advice, I will give it a try!

I noticed this with mine I think I was giving to much pellets so I cut back and none at night that way when she is mostly up at night she has to eat hay .I put her pellets in my hand and let her eat them , I figured I would start offering “ treats “ this way then in the future it won’t be like where is my full bowl of candy lol. Anyway I am completely new to bunny stuff , but this is what I am doing and bonus she has to go to the litter box more often!
oh my goodness I almost forgot to mention how stinking cute your mr moose is😍

Last edited:
For some reason my baby bunny isn't eating his hay. He was when we first brought him home, but now he is just eating pellets. His poops seem normal and he is drinking normally.
How young is your rabbit?
Rabbits under 6 months should still be getting some pellets since they are still growing. It may be better to just reduce the quantity of pellets to see if that will encourage more hay eating. Usually over feeding of pellets will make them eat less hay. But that doesn't mean you need to cut out pellets completely.

It is also important to refresh the hay every day. Don't wait until all is gone before adding more. They like to pick through their hay. By adding hay every day, it will encourage interest in the "new" hay.

Latest posts

Back