Baby bunny not being fed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunzy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have two does that gave birth four days apart one had six, and one had four, the one that had six doesn’t seem to produce enough milk for all of them there is one bunny that always gets left out! My other female that had four babies always has enough milk should I foster the un fed baby? Is it safe and will she feed it?

It should be just fine to move the baby after gently trying to get the other bunny's scent off and try to get the new mamas scent on it. You can also hold the mama and let the baby nurse that way.

If it's just one kit that isn't thriving, something is wrong with it, not with the doe. If it's a runt, smaller from the start, I take out 1 or two fat kits for one feeding, doesn't hurt the well fed kits but can help.
Fostering is an option too, but a litter of 6 isn't a big one, maybe for dwarfs, but that's not my league.
I avoid stressing my does by holding them (they have very strong thoughts about being handled), and be careful, the only time I tried I ended up with a slashed kit because the doe struggled.

Latest posts

Back