Baby bunny help needed..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookiemonster

Reaction score
yesterday my baby buns opened their eyes... momma is not to happy that i am touching them... What can i do? she has always trusted me but seems anxious when I am around the babies or touching them... I cleaned out her cage yesterday and went out to find the nesting box tipped over and the babies moving all around the cage... I put the nest box upright and the babies back in.. this morning I went out to check the bunnies and the babies were out and the nest box tipped over once again... is this normal? why is she doing this? the babies are 13 days old.. can i take the nest box away or is it to soon?

If the cage flooring is a solid bottom and the babies aren't at risk of falling through a hole in the floor or slipping through the cage bars, then I think it would be fine to take the nest box out, as long as there is a spot they can still nestle up in to keep warm. If the floor is wire, I would keep the nest box in there, but if the babies are getting out of it now, I would just keep it on it's side with the nest material moved to the floor of it so they can still snuggle up in it. Just make sure mom has somewhere she can go to get away from the babies when she needs a break.

Some moms can be very protective of their babies. Best way to get around this is distract her with her food while you need to do anything with them. I used to just bring the whole nest box out to check on the babies and let them crawl around a little on a towel on the floor. If you can't bring the nest box out, use a different box with a towel in the bottom to load the babies into and bring them out. Just make sure the box has high enough sides that the babies won't be able to crawl or hop out of it while you are carrying them.

the cage has a solid bottom... im just scared that mom will tip the nest box onto the babies...

put the box on it's side. The kits will be fine. They'll either huddle in the box or find a spot and they'll huddle together. 13 days is just fine to be out of the box especially if they are in a solid bottomed cage.

Latest posts

Back