Baby bunny dying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janellek

Reaction score
I have a two week old bunny in a litter and it takes one breath every 10 seconds or so and is suffering. I don’t want to put it down but if it’s in pain should I? Or would it not be able to really feel anything?
Thanks!

Sounds like it’s already passing. Is it a peanut? Runt? How are the others doing? Best case scenario you can try to syringe feed it and see if that helps, but without more info it’s hard to say what you should do.

It passed away:( thanks for the help though! We did try syringe feeding but it was to late, I noticed a few days ago it wasn’t moving as much as the others so I made sure it got extra food. It was not a runt or peanut

I'm sad to learn the little one passed away. Rabbits are obligate nose breathers. Anytime a rabbit begins mouth breathing is a sign of danger and impending death. There is more beneficial info on hospice-care in the link above.

Again, my condolences on the loss of this little one's life.

Just to not panic out people: Those are signs that something is off, some of it severly and can potentially become fatal, but not that the rabbit is dying. It's more a list to realize when to see a vet.

It passed away:( thanks for the help though! We did try syringe feeding but it was to late, I noticed a few days ago it wasn’t moving as much as the others so I made sure it got extra food. It was not a runt or peanut
I am so sorry. 😭 I don't like when are little pets leave us and we do not have them forever. 💞

I've held a few dying adults in my arms on the way to the DVM. Held them late at night ... One boy had a defective heart and his malady gradually took his life ... My elder friend cuddled "Blue" as I drove -- on the way to the DVM clinic however we did not get there in time. Clinic was on alert, waiting for us...

Sorrow is always a part of my heart when a precious heartbeat is losing their strength or dying. Open mouth breathing ...

I'm very sorry for your loss. A few months after my mother died in my arms, the same thing happened to my second rabbit, who succumbed to an intestinal blockage. It was harrowing to experience these things, but I was still glad that my little darling passed knowing that I was there to hold her.

I’m so sorry! Don't worry, the poor little guy is in a better place right now.

Latest posts

Back