Baby Bunny die before first week

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayase

Reaction score
Hi, just asking for some insight about why my baby bunny died. It died at 4th day for no reason since 1st 2nd and 3rd day it still just fine before

But I noticed that it's smaller than its other two siblings, does that mean it lack milk ?

Here's the photo of it (4th day, the day it died) :
20180502_031851.jpg

And here's picture of it compare to its siblings (2nd day, when still alive) :
20180501_015635.jpg

*update
1 more baby bunny died and this time it's normal baby bunny

it was just really fine and kicking 3 hours ago, now it died which I suspect he got no milk at all ??

this is it, 3 hours ago before dying :
View attachment 37300

and this is it recently when it die, I noticed its stomach is in black color :
View attachment 37301

Any insight what happened ? especially it was just fine 3 hours ago ?

now there's only 1 baby left and I'm kinda worried

Thank you

Last edited:
what breed are they? It looks like it may have been a peanut, which is common for dwarf breeds

what breed are they? It looks like it may have been a peanut, which is common for dwarf breeds

Yes their parents, both of em are Netherland Dwarf

I'm not sure whether they're true or false dwarf, all I know is just weight of both of parents are less than 1kg / 2.3 pounds

Last edited:
Looks like it was just a peanut then. Losing baby bunnies sucks, peanuts or not :(

It's a peanut, meaning it has two dwarf genes, which also means it's impossible for it to survive. They usually don't live longer than a week.

You can tell it's a peanut by the very small size, the very small ears being further set back on the head, the bulging head and eyes, and the underdeveloped back legs/hips.

*update
1 more baby bunny died and this time it's normal baby bunny

it was just really fine and kicking 3 hours ago, now it died which I suspect he got no milk at all ??

this is it, 3 hours ago before dying :
20180502_173856.jpg

and this is it recently when it die, I noticed its stomach is in black color :
20180502_223825.jpg

Any insight what happened ? especially it was just fine 3 hours ago ?

now there's only 1 baby left and I'm kinda worried

*update

all of the kits died today and yes judging from you guys have told me (especially wrinkled skin and stomach) it's because of the mother was not feeding them

all I see in this last 4 days, the doe just making nest around its litter and cleaning them even after they died, that's all it did

it's first litter for the doe

Yup first litter definelty explains it but even then, only sometimes do inexperienced mothers abandon their babies or not feed them out of confusion. They definitely look like they got no milk at all... sorry for your loss :(

It's a peanut, meaning it has two dwarf genes, which also means it's impossible for it to survive. They usually don't live longer than a week.

You can tell it's a peanut by the very small size, the very small ears being further set back on the head, the bulging head and eyes, and the underdeveloped back legs/hips.

Great description of a peanut. We had a litter of 4 with one peanut and mom was first time so she wasn't good at feeding right from the start. Since our buns get handled a lot, we held mom in my daughter's lap and held the babies up to her (one at a time) until the two that weren't getting much looked the same size as their biggest sibling. It was challenging but I was happy we did it and the result was great!

Latest posts

Back