Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxbunny

Reaction score
One of my rabbits is currently caring for two kits, and today I noticed that one of them was looking kind of funky. I picked them up, and on first inspection, I noticed there was a yellowish crusty ball on the anus, and whitish discharge from the genitals. The whole thing looks very inflamed and red. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the baby is very large, and its stomach has the feel of a thick ballon, starting at the ribs and going all the way down. Could this be bloat? Is there anything I can do to help the bunny? They are 22 days old, pure NZ. The other one looks fine, but has a little wet poo stuck around the anus
IMG_3446.jpegIMG_3447.jpegIMG_3448.jpegIMG_3449.jpeg

If it has abnormally yellowish poop, particularly if there's any mushy or runny yellow poop, that's an indication of e. coli.

(LINK CONTAINS GRAPHIC MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...its/bacterial-and-mycotic-diseases-of-rabbits
Whitish discharge from the genitals can be bladder sludge, pus, or it could be a jelly like substance that's actually coming from the anus, due to your rabbit having mucoid enteritis from the e coli.

Medirabbit: mucoid enteritis

In any case, this bunny needs to be properly evaluated by a knowledgeable rabbit vet right away, to get on the appropriate medications. But just know that this type of thing has a high mortality rate.

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/

I read through both the articles, but the symptoms don’t match. The kit did experience some bowel movement from when I first posted this thread, and after feeding it critical care, water, and a little simethicone. The poo appeared normal, but a little on the dry side. I’m suspecting some sort of UTI or other kidney/bladder issue, because the kit’s pee appeared thick and whiteish. The kits are not weaned, and shouldn’t be at risk for mucoid enteritis/enteritis yet.

If it has abnormally yellowish poop, particularly if there's any mushy or runny yellow poop, that's an indication of e. coli.

(LINK CONTAINS GRAPHIC MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...its/bacterial-and-mycotic-diseases-of-rabbits
Whitish discharge from the genitals can be bladder sludge, pus, or it could be a jelly like substance that's actually coming from the anus, due to your rabbit having mucoid enteritis from the e coli.

Medirabbit: mucoid enteritis

In any case, this bunny needs to be properly evaluated by a knowledgeable rabbit vet right away, to get on the appropriate medications. But just know that this type of thing has a high mortality rate.

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
forgot to write my update as a response to this, sorry

Bunny needs to see a vet imo. Somethings definitely not right, and digestive issues can be really serious.

Kits can still develop enteritis prior to weaning, especially with e coli. It commonly develops in that 2-3 week stage, though can happen at any age. But this does sound like a bladder issue instead. Thick white pee will either be bladder sludge (though this would be unusual in a kit that young) or it could be pus from an infection.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bladder_sludge_and_stones

got up today to check the baby, and it definitely has enteritis. Foul smelling, yellow diarrhea was smeared around the butt hind feet. Mushy poo is in the run. Looks like regular enteritis, not mucoid. Fed more critical care and simothicone, along with a dose of pepto. Will be swinging by the store to pick up some pedialyt and baby gas medicine. Going to the vet is not an option for me- and I don’t think they would be able to do anything, the kit is too little to have antibiotics.

Can I ask why the vet isn't an option for you? All pet owners have the responsibility to provide vet care for a sick animal, even if it ends up being just for pain relief or subcut fluids.

Medirabbit has a good article on enteritis, sorry if you've already read it.

Link

EDIT: Sorry, @JBun has already posted this link.

Last edited:
Can I ask why the vet isn't an option for you? All pet owners have the responsibility to provide vet care for a sick animal, even if it ends up being just for pain relief or subcut fluids.

Medirabbit has a good article on enteritis, sorry if you've already read it.

Link

EDIT: Sorry, @JBun has already posted this link
The only rabbit savvy vets around don’t do emergency 24 hour vet services, and the appointments are clogged back weeks sometimes. If I do manage to get an appointment in, it will be in around a week and half, and the bunny will probably be dead already. I have been trying though

Well, I don’t think the kit is going to make it through the night. I’ve been watering, critical caring, and feeding it motility support and gas medicine all day. The bloat is gone, I think the diarrhea has reduced, but when I went to feed it 20 min ago, there was blood all around their bottom and fur. Lethargy has really set in, as they let me feed them without a fight. I don’t know how to fix it at this point.

i hope the baby makes it but as others have said I dont understand why you havent taken it to the vets? we have such a responsibility to our pets and even if the ones that do 24 hours are not "rabbit savvy" they will still have a very good idea what is wrong and what to do and hopefully get the little one sorted. they will know far more than you will ever learn
sorry, but I do not understand you at all

I have to agree with @jeannybobs, any vet is better than a rabbit savvy vet when an animal is this poorly, this baby is suffering 😔
I hope she has made it through the night and you can get her some help.

Well, I don’t think the kit is going to make it through the night. I’ve been watering, critical caring, and feeding it motility support and gas medicine all day. The bloat is gone, I think the diarrhea has reduced, but when I went to feed it 20 min ago, there was blood all around their bottom and fur. Lethargy has really set in, as they let me feed them without a fight. I don’t know how to fix it at this point.
The unfortunate thing about raising kits is that sometimes they don’t make it, and with enteritis in ones that young there isn’t much a vet can do anyway. We lost a few to enteritis and everything we tried didn’t change the outcome. 😕

Latest posts

Back