baby bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chvyvnn

Reaction score
Hi everyone one of my rabbits named Daisy had a very unexpected litter. I adopted her less then a month ago and she had babies 2 days ago.4 of the babies bellies looked like they were bit open It looked like a murder scene and she had them away from 2 of the babies that were born in the nest. I also found one who is still alive away from the nest and it still had dark crusty stuff on itself like it wasnt cleaned compleltly. The babies in the nest look healthy and It looks like she's feeding them fine. I'm just confused as to why she did that to some of her babies. She is a holland lop and had 7 babies only 4 are alive as of today.

Things happen. For no reason at all. Welcome to breeding rabbits, where they compensate every flaw with sheer numbers.
Accidents happen, are this injuries, or malformations?
That she put's dead ones out of the nest is normal, would even been normal if she would have eaten them as much as she could. Kits born outside the nest happen frequently, seems she was rather stressed.
Are there any other rabbits with her?

Your math doesn't summ up, or are ones with the open bellies still alive?

I would just give her lots of food, rest and privacy, and let her do her schtik.

Sometimes I think a doe instinctively knows when she’s having a kit with defects or isn’t healthy, or is DOA. Some of ours seemed to know that because we’d find malformed or obviously dead ones outside the box and live healthy ones inside the box.

Latest posts

Back