baby bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would very highly, stronglysuggestthat she put those babies right back where she found them. Ifshe's concerned about her dog getting at them, then she should movethem to a more secure area - very near to where she found them - orjust keep the dog inside &/or temporarily leashed when outsideuntil they've moved on.

It sounds like they are being weaned. Wild rabbits wean theiryoung around 3-4 weeks, just in time for mom to deliver & carefor her next litter. And the lady, of course, would not seethe mom nearby as that would be a direct indicator to predators of thebabies location. She will only visit the babies once or twiceunder the cover of Dusk, Evening, or Early Dawn.

She should also take heed to local laws regarding wildanimals. I know in most states, it is illegal to take in awild animal as a pet, as well as take in and nurse it back to healthwith the intention of re-release. There are issues withdisease & transfer of certain strains from domesticated animalsinto the wild.

I know she means well, and I'm glad her heart is in the right place,but it could really cause more harm to those little ones by taking themin than just leaving them to who knows best... their mom.

~Sunshine

Edit: Oh, and Peapoo... you have my permission to copy this post as a reply to hers.

yeah i thought she should either put them backor turn them into the wild life thing...thanks! ill copy that and postit for her:)

oh:?...well we have a lady you can take themto..if theyre older she'll tell you to take them and put themback...but if not she takes them.. any wildlife....she does thepetfinder website... she takes in all kinds ofwildlife...birds,bunnies,etc...

I just popped in the forum for amoment and happened to read this thread. It's best to leave wildbunnies where they are, I agree.

A few years ago, my son and I happened to see a very wetand bedraggled sparrow sitting motionless on the front porch. Since wehave 2 outdoor cats, I picked the sparrow up and brought it inside ;it didn't stuggle or try to flap it's wings. It was standingup, but at first I thought it was dead !

Well we put "him" in a large cardboard box lined withnewspaper and lightly wrapped a dry washcloth around it. Then I put a25watt clip lamp above the box.

After about an hour, the sparrow hopped out and helpedhimself to a small measuring cup of water and ate a little birdseed ina vitamin C pillcap. He fluffed his feathers andseemed to be ready to go out, so we took the box outside and he tookoff in flight.

To this day I'm not sure if that was o.k., but it wasgreat to see that sparrow able to fly away , and not become catfood.

As far as bunnies, I wouldn't touch them except to movethem in case the cats (or dog) were already to grab them. In which caseI'd first try to keep the cats away or well-fed or both.:?

I'ts hard to want to help and know you shouldn't ! :(

Kadish Tolesa :pinkpansy:

Latest posts

Back