Baby bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherielee

Reaction score
This morning this baby was out off the nest with this nasty bite.....help wat do I do Sud I put him back? only 2weeks old 1st time mom an liter...

Attachments

• Snapchat-1462988801.mp4
    3.2 MB
It depends how he got it. If the mom attacked him and is still acting aggressively towards the kit, then I would remove the kit and the nest box, and only return him to her in the morning and evening for supervised nursing, and making sure she doesn't try and injure him when trying to nurse.

If she didn't attack him and the wound was caused by something like a rat or weasel squeezing into the cage to take the kit, then I would continue to keep it with the mom and add additional protection to the cage(if it's outdoors) to prevent anything from being able to squeeze into the cage again.

If you aren't sure, I would remove the kit and only return it for nursing. If it's a lone kit, the nesting box needs to be kept indoors and the kit monitored to make sure it is staying warm enough.

For the wound itself, if it's really deep, then it needs to be seen be a vet as it likely needs stitches and antibiotics. If it's just a surface wound, then I would monitor it to make sure it heals well and that it doesn't start to show any signs of infection.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

They are indoor rabbits...an there are 2 others with bites not bad but bites..but wen I found out off nest box idk wat to do I've never seen her nurse so idk lol idk y she hurting them but still taking care off them there growing great fat bellys

Attachments

• Snapchat-359543170.jpg
    Snapchat-359543170.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Snapchat-435045336.jpg
    Snapchat-435045336.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20211017-123116_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211017-123116_Snapchat.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 6
She may be overgrooming them. It's something that can sometimes happen with does. They groom to the point of causing injury to their babies. I think the kits really need to be removed or she could end up 'grooming' an ear off, or even a foot.

(WARNING: contains medical related photos)
Medirabbit: mutilating behavior in does

The kits really only need to be with her two times a day for nursing. Other than that, does mostly ignore their babies as part of their natural instincts to protect the nest. So that's what I would suggest, is removing the nest box with the kits, and bring it to her in the morning and evening, to give the kits time to nurse. Then just closely watch her during this time so she doesn't try to overgroom them. If she does try this while nursing them, you may need to distract her from grooming by giving treats, or having someone hold her while the kits nurse.

If you do have to stop her from grooming them while they nurse, then you may need to take over stimulating them to pee and poop. Though they might be old enough at this stage that they don't need the mom stimulating them any more. So just check to make sure they are peeing and pooping normally on their own.

Also make sure this overgrooming behavior isn't due to lack of proper nutrition for the doe. A nursing doe needs lots of extra food. She needs free fed good quality grass hay and nearly unlimited good quality alfalfa based pellets, or to also be supplemented with good quality alfalfa hay.

If I have never seen her nurse if I put them in there in the mornings and evenings will she know to nurse them

Yes, I would put him back with the others.

Some does do not nurse as long as they feel being watched. I got the impression that they nurse to get rid of the milk, so she'll feel when it's time and welcome the oppuortunity when you put the nest in.

She's likely nursing early morning and/or late evening when you're asleep. And it only lasts a few minutes. The does knows it's time to nurse because her milk will be full and she will need to relieve the pressure. So if you put the kits with her in the early morning and late evening, then at one of those times or both times, she will be ready to nurse them. If she doesn't, then I would wait an hour and try again. She may not nurse both times. Some does will only nurse once a day. So you'll have to discover when your doe is wanting to nurse.

Yes, I would put him back with the others and keep an eye on all their wounds for signs of infection, which they would need to be seen by a vet if the wounds are deeper than the skin layer and/or the wounds get infected.

Or you can keep them with her and risk possible injury to the kits. It's not what I would do, but that's up to you if you want to take the risk and keep the kits with the doe.

Latest posts

Back