Baby bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilko

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I’m new to this forum, just a quick question about our new baby bunnies. From what I can see in the nest there’s 5 baby’s (born yesterday) 2 of the babies are together on the opposite side of the nest. Do I move them to the other 3 so they’re all together keeping warm?
Our rabbit’s last litter of 3 all died at 2 days old and I really don’t want that to happen again! I’m also cautious about handling them and my gut is telling me just to leave them alone. I’m now worried she’ll feed one group and not the other, any advice would be appreciated

thank you

You can put them in one heap. Make sure the bedding is dry, and that they are well and completly covered in fur. Keeping warm is essential, digestion doesn't work right when chilled.

Thank you for your quick reply, I’m flapping as I want them to be healthy and well and was worried about moving them ☺️

Hi everyone
I’m new to this forum, just a quick question about our new baby bunnies. From what I can see in the nest there’s 5 baby’s (born yesterday) 2 of the babies are together on the opposite side of the nest. Do I move them to the other 3 so they’re all together keeping warm?
Our rabbit’s last litter of 3 all died at 2 days old and I really don’t want that to happen again! I’m also cautious about handling them and my gut is telling me just to leave them alone. I’m now worried she’ll feed one group and not the other, any advice would be appreciated

thank you
The whole "not handling them" thing is an old myth, told to kids to stop them from messing with newborn baby rabbits ;) . You don't want them to get cold so don't take them out for long, but you can definitely handle them. I try to group them together into one pile whenever I go in to check on them. Usually they will stay grouped up more when it is colder outside. If they're at a reasonable temperature it's not much too worry about. Baby rabbits are surprisingly mobile around the nest; they can group up if they want to.

Yes, they do need to be handled and checked daily to make sure mom is feeding them with nice full bellies, that they aren't wrinkly and dehydrated, and none have died. You don't want a dead kit chilling the rest.

If you're concerned about you messing with them affecting mom, distract her with food or something while you are checking on them, wash your hands prior with a non scented soap, and you can rub your hands on bedding or something with her scent prior to handling them so they still smell like her.

https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

Thank you so much for your help everyone, I put them together yesterday and when I checked this morning they were still in the same place grouped up warm as toast thank goodness(hopefully mum has fed them in the night)
I will check them again later for full tummy’s.

thank you

Latest posts

Back