Baby bunnies unwell.. should I take them to the vet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhirhiii

Reaction score
Hi guys

I’ve got 4 lovely Netherlands Dwarf babies who have been really really healthy, they are on day 20. They are out of the nest now.
Yesterday one of them had the sniffles, you could hear a little squeaking noise when it was breathing, I isolated him in a warm blanket inside a cat bed next to the heater, and he recovered within hours. However, the other 3 babies have this symptom now! Should I just do what I did with the first bunny and keep them warm with regular checks, or does this solicit a visit to the vet? They are all happily eating and still hopping along. I can just hear the squeaky breathing. I don’t wanna take them out in this cold unnecessarily, as they have done so well so far.
Thanks guys

Attachments

• 5588180C-202D-4703-A1BF-857C3F4724EF.jpeg
    5588180C-202D-4703-A1BF-857C3F4724EF.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 5
Could you call the vet and ask for advice they may have some idea as to what is going on and advise if they should be seen, especially as it looks like something contagious is going around and babies are not as strong to fight of infections. If one suddenly gets worse rather than better it can be harder to fix later on. Your little babies are very cute by the way!

You might consider taking just one of them to the vet to culture the discharge; otherwise, just make sure they all stay warm. If the sniffles occurs again I’d take them to the vet pretty quick. Their immune system is pretty fragile at that age.

Latest posts

Back