Baby bunnies pending! Please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhirhiii

Reaction score
Hey! So I took my bunny to the vet about a week and a half ago, suspecting she was pregnant. The vet said she is not although I was certain she was. Well, the past couple of days she’s been gathering so much hay in her mouth and making a little nest in the corner of her cage. Today she has been pulling fur! She’s had a litter which lived to about 7 days but weren’t adequately fed as they were so skinny and all died 😞. This was about 3 months ago. She didn’t make a nest or anything then so I’m praying that because she’s preparing herself, things should be ok this time! But I’m wondering, shall I give the cage a final clean before they arrive? I have rabbit friendly cleaner. When shall I put in the nest box? I have to use a cat litter tray as I couldn’t find anything else suitable! Please give me any advice and tips for milk production, caring for the kits and caring for the mum. And maybe some info on when I should expect them?! Thank you guys!!!! X

When exactly did you breed her? Most have the kits between day 28 and 34.
Any chance that it's just a false pregnancy? Some does even pull fur and all.

I hope it's not necessary to point that out, but if there is a buck with her remove him right now.

You can move the nest she made in the box and place the box exactly where the nest was, and show it to her. Then just give her hay and privacy, no meddling until she's done, do not stress her by hovering around and checking all the time, a peek every hour haw she's doing is enough.
Then a quick check of the nest if all kits are inside, and remove wet and soiled bedding. After that she just needs lots of food, rest and privacy, some does will not feed the kits when someone is around (the get more relaxed once it's routine, after a week or so). Most feed within 24h, rarely it can take longer for the milk to drop. Avoid any stress. Better she's bored than distracted.

Last edited:
When exactly did you breed her? Most have the kits between day 28 and 34.
Any chance that it's just a false pregnancy? Some does even pull fur and all.

I hope it's not necessary to point that out, but if there is a buck with her remove him right now.

You can move the nest she made in the box and place the box exactly where the nest was, and show it to her. Then just give her hay and privacy, no meddling until she's done, do not stress her by hovering around and checking all the time, a peek every hour haw she's doing is enough.
Then a quick check of the nest if all kits are inside, and remove wet and soiled bedding. After that she just needs lots of food, rest and privacy, some does will not feed the kits when someone is around (the get more relaxed once it's routine, after a week or so). Most feed within 24h, rarely it can take longer for the milk to drop. Avoid any stress. Better she's bored than distracted.
Hi. Thanks for your reply and all that information. Firstly, the buck was removed as soon as I saw her nesting. I’m not 100% sure when she would’ve bred, as they had been together a little while. It’s definitely not a false pregnancy as I’ve just seen little movements in her belly when laying on her side! She’s been laying down a lot and very hot (dipping her paw in her water bowl) so I’ve made an ice pack for her and put ice cubes in her water. I’m going to give the area a little clean and put her nest into a box, and then straight into the same corner. I’ve bought some expensive hay that has really good reviews to keep her nutrition good, and she has lots of water. Is it still ok to feed kale and parsley occasionally? If you can think of any other things that are good for milk production please let me know!!! Thank you!

Stop meddling, no cleaning now! That's the worst time to do any other than necessary stuff around her. Her instincts are just a little voice in her head that can be droned out easily.
Feed her everything she's used to. Hay, no matter how expensive, and that little greens alone are a meager diet - how is her condition, what size/weight are your rabbits. Does she get pellets?
Additionally I give oatmeal to nursing does, if they get skinny I put some sunflower seed oil on it. But that really depends on the condition of your doe.

I’d just leave her alone, then time to time check quietly without disturbing her, so if a kit was born not in the nest box, then you can save it, etc.

So they’re here! All warm, round bellies and very active!

Attachments

• F165348B-1818-46FC-8117-7EA85E6A79E9.jpeg
    F165348B-1818-46FC-8117-7EA85E6A79E9.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 6
They should be well covered with fur. If the doe didn't pull enough you can try to pluck some from her, or use a substitute like dryer lint or cotton wool. When they are not warm enough their digestion doesn't work properly.

Latest posts

Back