baby bunnies, I have questions, please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystical

Reaction score
Miss Pearl's babies are 14 days old. There are 8 of them. They are adorable, but I have never had newborn bunnies, or a young rabbit, all of mine have been older. When do they eat anything besides nursing from the doe? And what kind of food should it be, how often, and how much. I need any and all information. Please. They are so cute, I want them all. That is crazy right? Have any of you ever did that?
Also since the doe is a California White and the buck is a Netherlands Dwarf, how can I determine (if possible) at this age if any will be dwarfs?

I've never bred rabbits before, but this is from the House Rabbit Society:

· Birth to 3 weeks–mother’s milk

· 3 to 4 weeks–mother’s milk, nibbles of alfalfa and pellets

· 4 to 7 weeks–mother’s milk, access to alfalfa and pellets

· 7 weeks to 7 months–unlimited pellets, unlimited hay (plus see 12 weeks below)

· 12 weeks–introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.)

· 7 weeks to 7 months–unlimited pellets, unlimited hay (plus see 12 weeks below)

· 12 weeks–introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.)[/QUOTE

· 12 weeks–introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.)

Thank you do much for the information. I appreciate it.

Hello! Congratulations on the babies!
Unlike dogs who have special puppy food, rabbits don't have a special baby rabbit food. It's best to avoid adding anything new to their diet (besides hay or alfalfa and the food that mom's beed eating) until they're older to avoid enteritis and other gut problems. As for size, they'll probably be somewhere in the middle of the parents. The dwarf allele is incapable of turning an otherwise large rabbit into a tiny dwarf, it just makes already small rabbits even smaller normally.

Thank you for the information. I thought I might get a small bunny the size of the doe ( California White). They are so adorable. If I didn't have to go to work, I could spend all day with my adult rabbits and the little ones. lol. The doe use to come to work with me every day. I have my own office and it is just me there, so it worked. Have a nice day, and if you have any other tips or advise, please send them my way.

From about 2 weeks the kits will start eating some of mom’s pellets - which should be alfalfa based. They’ll continue to nurse. If the pellets aren’t alfalfa then I would suggest giving them some alfalfa hay. Along with whatever other hay you’re using.
The doe pretty much decides when to wean them, but if she doesn’t then you can do it between 6-8 weeks.

Thank you for the information. my doe refuses to drink from a water bottle she wants a small bowl. Is it okay to leave it in there with them? Those little babies can eat those pellets, I was going to look for small bunny pellets after work today. lol like puppy chow. So glad several of you told me this.

Latest posts

Back