Baby bunnies dying at 1 week old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I am posting this on behalf of a breeder friend of mine who breeds Netherland Dwarfs like me.
He recently lost a baby that was just over 1 week old for no reason he could see (no peanut or max factor etc) and yesterday he spotted that one of the babies in a recent litter of two was wet around the bum in the evening. They are also a about a week old. he dried it off and put it back but found it dead in the morning. Now the second baby is displaying the same symptoms. He is very weak and can barely sit and appears to have diarrhea. It looks rather hopeless.
I have never lost babies as young as that so can't draw from my experience so I was wondering if anyone here could help.
What could cause this and is there anything that can be done to prevent it? The mothers of each litter are fine and show no signs of disease.
Both does were bred in his own rabbitry so it can't be anything dragged in from the outside.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

sorry to hear about the passing ..

may the little one binky away w/ our loved before him

mouldy wet bedding?
something wrong in mom's feed affecting the kits?
Spider bite?
Dusty bedding?

scours in young stock is hard to fix. you need to find the source.

It may be hard to figure out the cause but first thing is to clean everything and disinfect. The earliest we've lost kits to enteritis is 4 weeks and we figured out it was due to stress. I wouldn't expect that to be as much of a factor in a 1 week old. I was able to stop it by changing their environment and putting neomycin sulfate in their water. For one who isn't drinking water you might be able to mix it with water and give by dropper. Once it appears in the kit it's very difficult to save.

Are there stomachs swelled up? I lost a kit to this issue (swelled up tummy and runny Poop). The vet said she sees this in kits around its age (1-2 weeks) I can't remember the name but I can ask the vet for you if it helps :) good luck and I'm sorry for his/her loss

Latest posts

Back