Baby bunnies and ramps

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evie

Reaction score
My rabbit gave birth three days ago and the babies are looking all well, she was moved earlier this month into a enclosure with a ramp into a box which she decide to have her babies in. The ramp is quite steep as it came built with the run I’m worried when the babies start adventuring they’ll fall off the side of the ramp which is quite a way to fall. I was thinking of moving her to a better place where it’s all one level and she used to live there so it’s familiar but At what age can you move the babies without stressing mum into eating them?

Nests in upper levels are a problem, when they first venture out of the nest kits have problems to get back in, getting into the risk of freezing or starving. Problem is to notice it, when they can't get back they tend to hide under or behind things.
Unless your doe has a history of eating kits when stressed I wouldn't consider this likely, that's rather a freak accurance. It would be a strike (within the 3-strikes rule) with many breeders.

I would move the nest to ground level, right under where it is now, remove the ramp and block the upper level entirely, so there is no way the doe could go looking for the nest there. When I move a nest I show it to the doe by shoving her nose in it.

As I see it, nursing does don't care about individual kits, they care about the nest. The kits that are in the nest where she built it are her kits - that makes fostering rather easy. But this too means that moving the nest is a rather big thing, and I restrict the does area somewhat until I'm sure she figured it out and fed the kits, and I give them quite and privacy to do so.

Latest posts

Back