Baby bunnies advice please.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamsrabbits

Reaction score
does anyone know how much weight baby lion heads should put on each day?
My lion head has had her first litter 3 weeks ago today- she had 7 beautiful bunnies but I have struggled to keep them all. when they began loosing weight at about 8 days old we intervened and helped her with feeding by food and petting bribery whilst siting on my lap with bunnies between my legs in a make shift nest. this worked for about a week and most of them progressed well. however she started getting stressed with this arrangement so we have left her to it again. the bunnies are only putting on between 1g-8g per day and I am concerned this is not enough. they are beautiful fluffy bouncing bunnies - who have now just started eating hay so I am hoping this will help. but I just wanted to know if anyone knew what they should be putting on? or of there's anything special I could feed them to help? thanks

I don't raise lionheads, but at 3 weeks they normally start to nibble on the pellets that Mom eats. Some people add a small sprinkle of plain rolled oats mixed in with the pellets for youngsters to eat as they near weaning age. I've done it with no issues, but I don't do it every day. Just keep pushing hay, too.

By 3 weeks my guys (rex X lop mixes) were putting on about 15-25 grams a day so it does sound like yours aren't quite eating as much as normal(although i don't know if it is normal for lionheads as we don't have them here.)
Mine were eating quite alot of solids by 2 weeks though and had all but left the nest to wander the rest of their hutch by 5 weeks so that could by why it is so different. I'd try the oats like majorv said you may want to try giving a little oats to the babies, not to many as to upset their stomach but maybe every few days? I use oats if my adults have lost weight(eg. if they have had worms and need to get the weight up) and it helps fairly well :) You could also try giving a few veggies about now, dark green veggies such as cos lettuce, kale and silver beet work well in small amounts.

thank you so much for your replies, it does seem my bunnies are small then as the smallest still only weighs 116g at 21 days old. But they are now eating solids and out and about a fair bit- but still sleep most of the day. The rolled oats you mentioned are they just the ones humans eat that you make porridge out of or a special type?
thanks

I just use plain rolled oats as I know there isn't anything special in them but you can always check the labels to see if there is a difference between different kinds :)
I would love to see some pics of the babies if you can get them! Expecially little fatty belly ones :D

I haven't quite mastered getting them still enough for good pictures yet so apologies for dodgy photos- any tips?

IMG_6079.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

yes, you can get the plain oats at the grocery store (Quaker is one brand), get old-fashioned not the quick style. You can also get plain oats at a feed store. Your babies are cute!! I love kits at 2-3 weeks of age.

typical life for three week old kits... nibble a bit. sleep, nibble a bit, play, sleep. nibble a bit play, sleep repeat .

you can easily give them a small bowl with about a 1 tbsp of oatmeal in it. Proper Lionheads about the same size as polish and from the pic, yours appear right on target. Oatmeal, hay, and pellets and they will be just fine. :)

Oatmeal is oat flakes... if you are north america.. think Quaker Oats and you'll be all set.. NOT the instant type, the regular stuff only.

Ohmy goodness, so many harlequins <33 and is that a magpie harlequin too?! Lucky!
They look perfect to be honest, chubby little balls of fur :D
Looking a lot like mine did at that age so I think your alright ^-^ (Although this picture was at just under a month old)

20150321_123356.jpg

I got Chewy (my lionhead) at 6 weeks old, and he only gained about a half an oz a week until he hit about 12 weeks, and the he had a spurt and finally hit 1lb 7 oz at about 16 weeks and then it slowed a bit. Since lionheads are a dwarf breed, I don't think that they will add weight as fast as the larger breeds. It took Chewy till 6 mos old to hit 2 lbs and I could neuter him. Your babies look healthy and happy. I would just give them unlimited pellets and hay and watch them. They are beautiful! I want them all! LOL

Latest posts

Back