Babies!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttons Mum

Reaction score
Hello all,

My 8mnth old bunny Thimble hgave birth 2 4 possibly 5 babies this morning. It wasn't planned so I really don't know what to do next. I haven't touched them so that she doesn't hurt them, but do I need to do anything to help? Do I need to give mum anything? Should I be helping?

I'm a little stuck :?

you need to put some sort of nest box in there and keep the babies in it. And make sure the mother is by herself along with her babies. She may act testy about you touching them but she shouldn't hurt them.

just give the mother a little more pelletts then usual and always have water available to her.

Is there a male with your rabbit? Or did she come to you pregnant? If there is a male with her, she will need to be separated immediately, and she will be pregnant again already (due in 4 weeks).

With the babies, you should really have a look at all the babies. Make sure the nest is clean and doesn't have any dead babies or placentas in it, which will start to rot and make the babies sick.

Mom should be fine with you handling the babies, and if you are worried, then rub your hands all over mom before touching the babies.

What sort of cage is she in and where did she build her nest? If there is a wire floor, the babies should be put in a box (shoe box, clean litter box or small rubbermaid) with some hay and all the existing nest. I like to put the babies in a box even if the floor is solid, because it helps keep the babies together and warm with less chance of one wandering away and dieing of exposure.

When you check the babies, also look at their bellies. A fed baby will have a nice round belly and look like it has swallowed a ping pong ball. A hungry baby will have a sunken and wrinkly belly.

-Dawn

Thanks a lot, there was a male in there with her, but I took him out about 4 days ago as we thought she would give birth any day. Her hutch has a top and bottom section and they are in the bedroom part of the top section.

I'm going to go and look at the babies now to see if they have little round bellies. I'm a bit worried, I don't want hber to reject them.If she isn't feeding them, what do I do? Someone suggested kitten milk?

She shouldn't reject them. Rabbits know the hand that feed them, and even though some mommas get really nasty to the owner, they usually wont reject the babies

Ok, they were all fine and seemed plump and happy. making little noises. Mum was a little grumpy that I went in there, but ok. What could I use as a nest box as it's not a massive space.

Is it just needed to keep the babies from wandering around and getting exposed? Would a shoue box with lots of bedding in do?

Unfortunately 2 of the little ones died in the nigth yesterday, I lost the pink one and one of the black ones. I'm not sure mum was able to cope with 5.

the remaining 3 are ok and seem to move around quite a lot. We have done our best to keep them safe and they are now inside in a warm (not to warm) room.

Hopefully I'll get some pics soon, but mummy is very agressive when you try to go near them. I'm happy for her to be in charge until they are a bit older, so will get some photos soon!

Latest posts

Back