Babies overgrooming each other

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I have a litter of three Netherland Dwarfs that are about 6 weeks now. Yesterday I suddenly noticed that one of the little girls had a slight bald spot on her head. I checked her and could not find any other problems with her fur but when I put her back I noticed that one of the otehr babies was obsessively licking that one spot. Even when I tried to shush her away she kept coming back to her sister and kept licking her. Oddly enough the little boy in the litter seems unharmed. I have some skin oil for animals that I put on to assist the healing (it looked rather raw) and most of all to put off the other one licking the spot. It seemed to work initially but today I spotted her licking again although the fur was still greasy with oil. It seems she got the taste for it now :-(.
Is there anything else I can do to prevent the licking as separating them would be rather awkward and I still like them to spend at least another week with their mum.

You could try something like a bitter apple spray that is used to try and keep pets from chewing on things. I don't know if it can be applied to skin though. Or maybe a touch of vinegar on the spot as long as the skin isn't sore or it will sting.

You may be limited in what you can put on the spot. You may have to separate them, either by leaving the OCD baby with Mom and putting the other two in another cage, or leaving the one being licked with Mom and putting the others in a different cage. The problem with the latter option is that the OCD baby might start licking another one...

Latest posts

Back