Babies I'm Hand Rearing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamsin

Reaction score
sleepy.jpg
Thispicture was taken two days ago, they've just opened their eyes so Ithink they're about 10 days old today :D

Aw, they are so so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

How come you are handrearing? what happened to their mum?

It looks like you are doing a good job :)

And you are probably right that they are about that age, a bunny tends to open its eyes at about 10-11 days old.

I can't get over the cuteness :D

They were scooped up out of a pile of sand by adigger at a building site. One of the workmen rescued them and got mynumber from my vet. The builders were digging up the whole area so theycouldn't stay.

They had just sleeping off a feed in the photo.

Wow, that's an amazing thing what you are doing then :)

Keep us updated :)

Here are pictures from the latest feed...

This little guy wants the next turn

baby1.jpg

They're not very good at sitting still though:
baby3.jpg

baby2-1.jpg

The fed pile:
baby4.jpg

baby5.jpg

Yep, they're wild bunnies. I'm in the UK so I think that might be a different type to what you'd see in canada/us?

Those little ones look EXACTLY like the littleone my aunt brought home from the prison she works in...Im assumingmine is a little past ten days old, has had eyes open for about 2-3days and is developing QUITE the personality. Has recently startedeating very well, attacks the dropper with KMR and sucks down ateaspoon per meal, not quite sure how often to feed now, lately been 2times daily with browsing on grasses. Does this mean my bun is wild?Will it be harder to get along with? ATM it isnt happy unless its incontact with me, has to be on my bed and on top of me otherwise itraises a ruckus. Isnt even scared of our German Shepherd, whom likes toadopt anything fuzzy as her own. I do have a fairly recent pic of it,not sure of gender.

bunny.jpg

Aww, yes he looks just like the ones I'mrearing. I'm feeding three times a day and they drink about 4-5ml perfeed. Wild mums wouldn't feed them that often so if you're bun is doingokay and munching aswell then 2 feeds is fine. You can weigh him dailyon kitchen scales to check he's gaining weight.

Mine aren't munching yet so yours could be a few days older. Or are youin the US? I think wild buns there are cottontails and here europeanrabbits so possibly they develop slightly differently. He does looklike a wild rabbit though.

It seems to depend on the bunny how tame they get, I know several casesof people keeping handreared ones as house rabbits. They can be a bithighly strung though.

Handreared babies have very delicate tummies so you could feed someprobiotic to help, or poop from a healthy rabbit (ewww), and introduceany new foods really slowly.

Good luck, I'm off to feed mine again!

I'm just seeing this thread, and the babies areso cute Tamsin! Kudos to you! Will they be releasedinto the wild when they're older, or kept as pets?

Thanks :) they're still with us and eating awaywell. It's amazing how fast they develop. Their fur has really comethrough now and their ears have opened up and they walk around likemini bunnies.

They'll stay as pets. I think having been handreared from before theireyes were open they're not going to intergrate back into wild bunnysociety and they couldn't go back where they came from anyway.

They should do fine as pets though, one of the rescue volunteers I waschatting to for advice has a handreared baby as a house bunny!

It's a difficult one. I don't know if it makes adifferent but the wild rabbits we have in the UK are the same speciesas domesticated pet rabbits where as Cottontails are a differentspecies.

We get quite a few cases of half wild - half pet rabbits where a wildrabbit has got into a garden and mated with a pet. You also see black,white or occationally patterned wild bunnies in fields where an escapedor released pet has breed into the population.

There are quite a few weeks to get them through before it's an issue anyway.

Tam

Yes as far as I know, they must be possible aswe wouldn't have albino pet bunnies. I would think that asthey are easily spotted they don't live as long.

Latest posts

Back