babies eyes closing after 22 days

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookiemonster

Reaction score
One of my babies eyes keep closing... the baby is 22 days old.. why would this be happening and what causes it??

"keep closing"? Were they open and are closed now (both?), always or temporary? Is the behaviour of the kit off?

Are the eyes clean, or gunky (search or googlr for "nestbox eye")?

There can be a lot of reasons, infection, genetical, injury (unlikly if it's both eyes) etc...

If you mean they are sticking closed, it's likely to be nestbox eye. A warm compress to gently open the eyes, and regular application of plain sterile saline eye drops and making sure the eyes stay clean and open may clear up a mild case of nestbox eye where there is no infection involved, but if there is any sticky discharge, white discharge, or cloudiness in the eye it means there's an infection and the appropriate ophthalmic antibiotic eye drops or ointment would be needed, usually for at least a week. If they still have a nest, it would also be a good idea to completely clean it out and replace with new bedding, and make sure to keep it really clean.
http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/conjunctivitis-in-young-rabbits/

When in doubt, always consult your vet.

Last edited:
They are kind of crusty when i go to check on her.. i cleaned the cage and that seemed to help.. the eyes seem to b closed all the time. they are out of the nest box.. it has happened to one of the other babies but with only one eye. I have been taking a warm wet qtip to help it open.

Latest posts

Back