Auto water system

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ai4px

Reaction score
This is my first post, thought I'd share....

I'm getting up to speed with my rabbitry and just plumbed up a water system with the little brass nipples. I considered using a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet fill float valve, but was worried it would freeze and burst. So I found a pressure regulator and I can mount in my pumphouse so it won't freeze. My concern was that the pressure regulator would malfunction and I'd never know it, so I wanted some sort of warning light for low pressure.

I found a fuel pressure warning switch online at ebay. You can search for FUEL PRESSURE SENDER - 1/8IN. NPT 2-7PSI - LON43020 by longacre. This pressure switch is adjustable and mine's set to trigger at <2psi. You will have to rough up the finish a bit and solder a wire onto the housing. It screws into the same size 1/8" pipe fitting as the rabbit nipples.

Wire the pressure sensor up to a 9v battery and a flashing LED. You can easily find flashing 9V LEDs on ebay as well. A 9V battery should last for years since it's only used when the led is blinking.

Now when the water pressure is low, a red LED will blink alerting you. You can easily test b/c if you press in on one of the nipples far enough, it'll flow enough to drop the pressure and cause the light to flash.

My setup right now is temporary until I get the leanto behind the workshop and make my permanent cages. So for now, I'm using 5/16 barbed fittings and clear tubing.

Sure enough, last night our daughter knocked one of the fittings loose and water was just dumping out on the ground. When we went to bed, wife looked out the back window and saw the LED flashing!

Wes

This is my first post, thought I'd share....

I'm getting up to speed with my rabbitry and just plumbed up a water system with the little brass nipples. I considered using a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet fill float valve, but was worried it would freeze and burst. So I found a pressure regulator and I can mount in my pumphouse so it won't freeze. My concern was that the pressure regulator would malfunction and I'd never know it, so I wanted some sort of warning light for low pressure.

I found a fuel pressure warning switch online at ebay. You can search for FUEL PRESSURE SENDER - 1/8IN. NPT 2-7PSI - LON43020 by longacre. This pressure switch is adjustable and mine's set to trigger at <2psi. You will have to rough up the finish a bit and solder a wire onto the housing. It screws into the same size 1/8" pipe fitting as the rabbit nipples.

Wire the pressure sensor up to a 9v battery and a flashing LED. You can easily find flashing 9V LEDs on ebay as well. A 9V battery should last for years since it's only used when the led is blinking.

Now when the water pressure is low, a red LED will blink alerting you. You can easily test b/c if you press in on one of the nipples far enough, it'll flow enough to drop the pressure and cause the light to flash.

My setup right now is temporary until I get the leanto behind the workshop and make my permanent cages. So for now, I'm using 5/16 barbed fittings and clear tubing.

Sure enough, last night our daughter knocked one of the fittings loose and water was just dumping out on the ground. When we went to bed, wife looked out the back window and saw the LED flashing!

Wes
Sounds like quite the setup for being temporary! Good going with the warning light also. My temporary setup is gravity feed lol.

Latest posts

Back