Attack of the ?pregnant? bunny!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmmcnair

Reaction score
Well, I tried to palpate Jenna yesterday and sheattacked me!! :shock:She has never attacked me no matterwhat, but she did yesterday...at first I wasn't sure it was an attack,but after doing it 3 time...it was definitely an attack! I'mkinda hopin this is a sign that she is prego...and no I felt nothing, Idon't think I palpate hard enough, I'm scared of hurting her...she isgetting fatter though, and I have not upped her feed intake oranything...just started some oats (which I have been doing with all therabbits).

On a bright note...that doe that wasn't eating pellets and not poopingis now pooping like a champ and she even ate all of her pelletsyesterday!!! WooHoo!! Although I might have mixed her up witha buck...the buck has a dewlap...I need to check them to make sure I'vegot them right!!! And we all know, I have had the worst luck with who'swhat!!!

Okay, I justchecked, I did get them right!!! I guess my buck is fat :?...what do I do about that???

Gotta go get some Woody Pet!!!

Bye for now,

Dawn

hey Im a first time rabbit person and I amraising them for ffa, any helpful hints on getting them pregnant andkeeping them healthy... feed, toys, etc ? thanks!

What type of rabbits are you raising for FFA??? Idon't know much about FFA, just 4H, I don't know if they are the sameor similar.

Well from what I have learned here, venilation in their cages goes along way to keeping them healthy, a good diet of 16%, 17%, or 18%protein pellets (I use Purina Rabbit Chow), all the hay they could eat,and fresh water at all times. Their cages should be cleanedat the least once a week...more if they are messy. If youhave their droppings going to the floor it's best to shovel it out tolower the ammonia from the urine...you could compost it, use it in agarden or start a worm farm.

Now for breeding for FFA and 4H... I have been told to not free feeddoes until they kindle...because if a doe is fat it is harder or notpossible for her to breed....always put the buck into the doescage....check the does' color (if she is dark red to purple she isready to be bred and will be more receptive to the buck).

I use toilet paper and paper towel rolls for toys...my cals aren't really playful, but they like chewing on them.

I also play a radio for them all the time, this gets them used to noises.

Pamnock has a good website that has good information for 4H...I assumeit would be helpful for FFA. She would be able to help evenmore with breeding and health, as she has been breeding and judging forquite a while....I on the other hand am still learning, and am a newbieat this myself.

All information above I have gotten from this forum and another forumthat is dedicated to breeders/4Hers/FFA/commercial people more than topets per se.

Good Luck and have fun with your rabbits!!!

Dawn

dmmcnair wrote:
Now for breeding for FFA and 4H... I have been told to notfree feed does until they kindle...because if a doe is fat it is harderor not possible for her to breed....always put the buck into the doescage....check the does' color (if she is dark red to purple she isready to be bred and will be more receptive to the buck).
Slight corrections -

Yes, do not free feed does if you plan to breed them... You do not wantyour does to put on excess fat, it can be deadly. It doesn'timpact thier mating capabilities,,, it causes difficulty with theactual birthing process... you'll get stuck kits and possibly evenKetosis.

Actually, you want to put the Doe in the Buck's cage.... theoverwhelming odor of the buck's scentwill "get her in themood" and she'll breed a lot more willingly. If you do theopposite - put the Buck in the Doe's cage - she may become aggressivedefending her territory and may cause harm to the buck.

You are absolutely correct SunnieBunnie...the doe goes in the bucks cage...got them backwards.

I have heard on here and on another forum that a fat doe my beimpossible to get pregnant because of the fat deposits around theuterus. Mistype again...pregnant not breed. Jennais still getting fed once a day and it will continue until I know forsure she is pregnant...I will also give her some Karo syrup afterkindling to reduce the possiblity of I think ketosis, where they go offfeed and try to convert their fat into energy. I got thisadvice from a few Cal breeders here in Texas. ;)

As I stated above I am still learning myself and thank you for catchingmy mistyping. I have all the scratches to show I put my doein with my buck...my bucks don't scratch near as much as my does. :D

Dawn

Latest posts

Back