At What Point A Mother Rabbit Can Still Adopt A New Set of Kits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toptom

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a Dam who just died to day to which I believe is a choking incident as she kept on gasping for air as her nose pointed upwards with his neck seeming to try swallowing something. I didn't get a chance to treat or do a first aid as a few seconds later after I noticed her, she started dropping her body while kicking instantaneously and eventually died with her body upside down and her eyes protruded/bulged.

She left 7 kits that are 18 days old. The closest dam I have that can adopt these babies gave birth also 18 days earlier before their birth date. I already weaned her original kits. Can you suggest me what to do? I already put that foster dam a while ago and rubbed each kits to the her sides, belly, and cheeks. I've been observing them from time to time and I noticed that she would let the babies to her side and underneaths without attacking them which most of my dams would normally do but on older kits based on my experience. This is the first time this incident happened to me.

It might work. It might not. If the kits are up and moving outside of the nestbox the chances are better, imo. They can chase her down and force her to nurse. If the other doe is still producing milk but you are not sure she will accept the kits you can hold her down and let them nurse on her for about twenty minutes each evening. Hopefully after a few days of that the foster dam will start to get into the habit of nursing them

Thanks for your reply! That's what I did earlier, I removed the nestbox so they can freely reach to their foster mother any time. I'll try your suggestion on force feeding. I believe she's still producing milk due to the size of her nipples. I hope this will work out.

It might work. It might not. If the kits are up and moving outside of the nestbox the chances are better, imo. They can chase her down and force her to nurse. If the other doe is still producing milk but you are not sure she will accept the kits you can hold her down and let them nurse on her for about twenty minutes each evening. Hopefully after a few days of that the foster dam will start to get into the habit of nursing them

Latest posts

Back