At What Age Can a Baby Rabbit be Introduced to Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticbunny

Reaction score
OK, as far as I know, rabbits can eat hay assoon as they choose to eat it.

However, the manager at my work (I work in a pet store) would like me to NOT recommend feeding hay when I sell a bunny. She seems to be under the impression that hay should not be introduced until 6 months of age! I told her no, that hay should be encouraged, always available, and should make up a good 70% of the rabbit's diet. I also pointed out that the pellets we feed our rabbits are based on alfalfa hay to begin with... So actual alfalfa will NOT kill the rabbit.

I told my manager that I would find and print out some information on when and why to introduce hay to your bunny, the importance of hay, etc. I'm having trouble finding any resources that sayWHEN to introduce your bunny to hay... Anyone have any links? Or any breeders care to offer their 2 cents, something I can print off and show my boss?

Thanks for everyones help in advance!

What? No, baby rabbits often eat hay as the very first solid food, because the moms put hay in their nests. This usually starts not long after they open their eyes. Rabbits are MADE to eat hay. Your manager may be confusing hay with vegetables, which some older sources say to not feed a bunny until he is 6 months old.

Latest posts

Back