At what age are you willing to let others take your bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bojay

Reaction score
It breaks my heart to see 4 week old bunnies for sale. I just think this is too young.

I won't let my rabbits go to new homes until after 8 weeks. Am I being a little over cautious?

I agree 4 weeks is to young. Between 6 and 7 weeks at the early-est.

I honestly believe itdepends upon the litter and where they are going. I have let 6 week old bunnies go to a new home (a breeder) because I knew they would be well cared for and that it would be ok. I had another litter the same age - there was no way that they were ready to go for about 2-3 more weeks - and I've even had 8 week old bunnies that I didn't feel were ready for their own home.

I've also had some rabbits in a litter be ready and others not be ready.

I wouldn't regularly place a 4 week old rabbit in a new home - BUT - if it was someone I knew and there were special circumstances (like we live across the state and wouldn't get to see each other for another 4 months)...then yes, I would consider it.

Peg

For me, the kits have to be at least 6 weeks. It really depends on the kit though, I have some 7 week old kits that aren't as fat as I'd like them to be (on account of some feed problems recently) so I haven't even put them up for sale on my site yet.
I dont think you are being overly cautious though. If I had more room and cage space and patience then I would keep them longer like you.

I wean at 6 weeks and watch them till 8 weeks. I then sell them after 8 weeks if they are healthy and independent. I only sell rabbits younger than 8 weeks to fellow breeders that I know and trust.

Sharon

I do all my weaning no younger than 6 weeks. Preferably, I'll keep them 1-2 weeks after weaning for "Away-From-Momma-Adjustment" time before letting them leave.

Under NO circumstances are ANY babies allowed to leave under 6wks of age.

Latest posts

Back