At ER vet right now!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVIE

~RUBY AND ROSEY RUM BUNS~
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night Ruby was fine. This morning she was hiding and didn't come out for breakfast. Has never turned down food before. I went to pick her up and she ran under couch and wouldn't come out. She was hunched up in a ball, wouldn't come out, would not respond to hay, salad or banana chips. I moved couch and she ran out to another hiding place. She does not like to be picked up. But I picked her up and felt her belly, didn't detect anything obvious except her heart rate was high. I gave her simethicone, she struggled but I got it in. Then she ran to hide in her hidey house and wouldn't move. I waited an hour, then scooped her up and headed to the ER. Her ears were at least up during triage. She is back with vet now. Panicking!0523210943.jpg

Update, she is in stasis, they are admitting her until they see her poop at least, she will be here for 36 hours and if no improvement, she goes to her exotic vet for possible upper gi tract surgery. I'm panicking!

One interesting thing the vet said was that the first she saw that it was serious was that her rectal temperature was low, it should be in the 100s, but hers was 90. I'm ordering a rectal thermometer for home on Amazon right now

Poor girl. It’s awful this is happening. Has she ever gotten stasis before? I wonder why her rectal temperature was low? I wonder if it’s from stasis, but I’m not really sure. Hopefully she comes home soon. What is the vet saying? Is she doing better?

They haven't called, but they were starting her on subq fluids, and meloxicam and critical care. If no poops they will start motility meds and do radiography and such. If no improve or worsening by tomorrow evening she goes to her regular vet who is the exotic surgeon in the area.
Prayers that everything goes well! ❤️

Any more updates? I'm so happy you were able to take her to the ER and that the vets have been able to kinda help her! Subq fluids, and meloxicam, and critical care should really help her out. Has she had an x-ray to make sure she doesn't have a blockage? Do you know if they are giving her any gut motility drugs such as metoclopramide?
The reason her temperature was down is that when rabbits go into stasis their temp drops. It is very dangerous and is why people will use heating pads on rabbits who are sick.

I just talked to vet, she is hopping around a little and interacting, has taken a few little nibbled. Would have absolutely nothing to do with catheter, still getting the subcu and critical care. They have not done a radiography because she won't tolerate it. I'm not sure if she said they had started the motility drugs or that they were going to. Concerns about whether to put catheter into ear vein. No poop yet. I'm supposed to call at 6 am to talk to this Dr because her shift ends at 7. I guess if she's strong enough to fight the catheter that's a good sign?

I’m glad she’s moving around. That seems good. And it does seem like a good sign that she’s showing resistance and energy against the catheter. Hopefully the vet can show us a good prognosis tomorrow 🥺🙂

I just talked to vet, she is hopping around a little and interacting, has taken a few little nibbled. Would have absolutely nothing to do with catheter, still getting the subcu and critical care. They have not done a radiography because she won't tolerate it. I'm not sure if she said they had started the motility drugs or that they were going to. Concerns about whether to put catheter into ear vein. No poop yet. I'm supposed to call at 6 am to talk to this Dr because her shift ends at 7. I guess if she's strong enough to fight the catheter that's a good sign?
Yay! I'm glad she is doing better! The fact that she ate some means she will poop soon!
The vet needs to be careful giving her critical care and motility drugs if she hasn't had an x-ray because it could make a blockage worse. What do you mean she wouldn't tolerate the x-ray? Are they trying to put her on her back for the x-ray? When Theo got an x-ray they laid him on his side for one, and then let him sit normally for the other since rabbits don't like being on their backs.

Dr. Said she was a spitfire, didn't want to be manipulated. She was waiting to see if things got worse and didn't want to force yet in fear of her hurting herself. I'm not sure why the other things were started first... But this was the Emergency Vet Clinic, and they don't see a lot of bunnies. They were planning to send her to Ani-Care today (her regular HRS exotic vet... Apparently he's the best in the area. (HRS list did me good). Thanks for your input @Mariam+Theo ... A little more info helps! You can read about bunny care constantly, but going through stasis with your bun makes it all real. The Dr was surprised that I knew to give her simethicone, wait to see if it helped and if not go straight to vet. She said most patients wait until it gets worse thinking their bun is grumpy, scared, upset or whatever and leave them be. The education saved Ruby's life and the experience will benefit her and other buns down the road. How few bun owners are as prepared as we here are? According to the ER vet, not many. But anyway.....

.....And to continue:
UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!
Got my 5 am update from the ER doc, Ruby is doing great! She is pooping and peeing regularly and in good form. She is being released and can come home today. They are all in love with her, and the DR herself said she's been googling Thriantas and wants one. I guess the spitfire didn't scare her too much then. I'm patiently waiting for a ride to go pick her up! Hugs to all of you! Special thanks to @Madelyn L. @BunBun71 , @Apollo’s Slave and @lilac for being Ruby's cheerleaders and @Mariam+Theo for always being the voice of reason and support. You guys are great... Support, education and living through each other's experience saved Ruby's life. Hugs to all the admins for bring this community to us. Yes, I'm gushy right now. and most thanks to my beautiful friend @Mei who spent a good amount of time on the phone calming me down yesterday. Invaluable!

Latest posts

Back