At a Critical re-intro with BONDING - AFTER a Long "TIME OUT".... tips ?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25471

Lionel and Murphy
Reaction score
I have two neutered (now 1 yr olds) , Murphy and Lionel, separated since New Years Day on separate Floors of the house . Prior to this they were in cages next to each other (since they were 3 months old) . I began to try bonding at about 5 months - (and tried all the tips, swapping cages, toys, litter boxes, etc) . Lionel in particular was not willing to submit and bond (they would end up fighting after Lionel made the first move on Murphy). They never looked as calm as the bonding videos as far as when they approached each other, it wasn't a nip here and there - it was a bite and then a fight. I am looking on advice for "how" to introduce them again. First off, its been 2 months, I am thinking of waiting another month at least....I almost feel the young age - and SAME age may have worked against me initially. I am asking for help now, bc I am wondering if I should do any preliminary prep. ( When I do it will be in a neutral location).... But I am torn if I should do this as a BRAND new intro, or if I should FIRST do what I did prior ( swap each other's cages first/swap their stuffed buddies etc ) My inclination is to do a TOTAL new intro. Maybe even putting a little scent on each of them so that old memories don't immediately surface (I don't think they ever "forget" each other) hopefully though at least forget they Hate each other ! Anyone have thoughts on how this should go?

Thank you !! That is what I will do. I am going to wait it out maybe 2 more months before I try again, so until then, I will keep them away from any common ground. I think I introduced them too soon, (5 weeks after being neutered) They had stopped marking the territorial marking along their borders and I had thought maybe they were ready - but either they weren't and I prolonged the whole process or they are not going to be able to bond. These are all videos and links I had not seen before - Most of the bonding stuff looks like all flowers and butterflies - not hair and bodies flying. I was careful though and no one was injured aside from a few little nip scabs. Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it !

I have two neutered (now 1 yr olds) , Murphy and Lionel, separated since New Years Day on separate Floors of the house . Prior to this they were in cages next to each other (since they were 3 months old) . I began to try bonding at about 5 months - (and tried all the tips, swapping cages, toys, litter boxes, etc) . Lionel in particular was not willing to submit and bond (they would end up fighting after Lionel made the first move on Murphy). They never looked as calm as the bonding videos as far as when they approached each other, it wasn't a nip here and there - it was a bite and then a fight. I am looking on advice for "how" to introduce them again. First off, its been 2 months, I am thinking of waiting another month at least....I almost feel the young age - and SAME age may have worked against me initially. I am asking for help now, bc I am wondering if I should do any preliminary prep. ( When I do it will be in a neutral location).... But I am torn if I should do this as a BRAND new intro, or if I should FIRST do what I did prior ( swap each other's cages first/swap their stuffed buddies etc ) My inclination is to do a TOTAL new intro. Maybe even putting a little scent on each of them so that old memories don't immediately surface (I don't think they ever "forget" each other) hopefully though at least forget they Hate each other ! Anyone have thoughts on how this should g
I would to a completely new intro and act like they have never seen each other. Here are a link and video that I suggest to everyone in the bonding process.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

I'd actually like to ask your opinion on whether you think it would be helpful to have my buns be exposed to a few OTHER buns first. Especially since I am trying to have them "forget" each other (or forget they hate each other) during this time out process. I want prepare the best scenario I can before I re-introduce them. I'm not sure I could arrange that, but I.m thinking it could be helpful. They've never been with any buns other than their litter mates until since they were 12 weeks old. I also may try to cover the scent a bit of my one bun.

Latest posts

Back