Ash's adventures!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today it was very hot. Like 70 degrees but it was sunny out which made it fel like 80 degrees. Now its finally nice and cool though.

I just finished the next dragon wing. Boy they took a lot of work, lol. I'm sure the body will be easier. I should hopefully be finished making it sometime in the next few days.

Tomorrow is my brothers birthday. My mother loves to bake so she is going to make him a cheesecake. And we'll probably go somewhere to celebrate.

The watermelon plants are doing good! Since tomorrow is Saturday I'll get a pic of them for you all to see. I hope they make a lot of melons.

Finally! Our store nearby is selling watermelons again. We just got 2 of them yesterday. We ate one today it was SO good!

I don't class 70 or 80 to be very hot at all :p In fact 80 is like the perfect temperature for me! But then I love the really warm weather. Anything much less than 70 isn't too cold, but I don't really like it. I am a creature of summer though, I remember a heatwave we had several years ago, where we had 15 days in a row over 95 degrees. It was maybe a little excessive, lol.

Also can't wait to see the dragon with wings :D

Azerane, maybe for you its not hot but for me it is! LOL. I've been sweating on those really hot days. And poor Ash is hot. I give him a frozen water bottle to lay with and there is a ceiling fan pretty close to him that I have on. We don't have air conditioning so its a bit hard to deal with.

Thanks, I'm hoping to get the dragon done soon. I hate having un-finished projects laying around so I'll make sure to finish it soon.

Oh and I just wanted to tell you all that Ash is really shedding now. Everytime I pet him I see a bunch of fur flie off and float away in the air. I've been petting him a lot lately to help him get rid of some of that extra fur! lol.

Azerane, maybe for you its not hot but for me it is! LOL. I've been sweating on those really hot days. And poor Ash is hot. I give him a frozen water bottle to lay with and there is a ceiling fan pretty close to him that I have on. We don't have air conditioning so its a bit hard to deal with.

Oh and I just wanted to tell you all that Ash is really shedding now. Everytime I pet him I see a bunch of fur flie off and float away in the air. I've been petting him a lot lately to help him get rid of some of that extra fur! lol.

I bet he's wishing he would shed more often, lol.

If Ash is struggling with the heat and he's ok to eat some bits of carrot etc, you can freeze the carrot or other freezable greens/veggies and then give them to him frozen. Helps to keep their insides cool :) There's a local rabbit rescue here that takes in a lot of heat stroke bunnies over summer and they give the buns frozen carrots to help cool their internal temp.

I bet he's wishing he would shed more often, lol.

If Ash is struggling with the heat and he's ok to eat some bits of carrot etc, you can freeze the carrot or other freezable greens/veggies and then give them to him frozen. Helps to keep their insides cool :) There's a local rabbit rescue here that takes in a lot of heat stroke bunnies over summer and they give the buns frozen carrots to help cool their internal temp.

Good idea. I've already been giving him a frozen strawberry each day but I think freezing carrots is a great idea! Maybe I'll try that.

Today its going to be hot! I can tell! Its already getting slightly hot and its sunny out. Well at least there are lots of things we can do today.

So like I said, today is my brothers birthday! I think we are going to go swimming in the swimming hole or a lake called lake Moomaw that has a nice beach and is great for going swimming in. The good thing about going swimming is it'll be warm today and the water will heat up nicely. If some of you wonder why we are not having a party its just because we are all sick of parties! LOL. I think it'll be much funner to just enjoy a day of swimming.

Not sure where we'll go yet but I'll let you all know soon.

I'll get a picture of thw watermelon plants now. I haven't even checked them today yet so I'll see how much they've grown now.

That's about it for now! Not much to update but I'm going to get a pic of the plants now.

I just love that bunny pattern, it is too cute.

It´s hotting up here now, I prefer the spring heat but not the summer heat...too humid and too hot. It does get up to 40ºC sometimes and it´s much better to be in the house than outside.

Hope you had a great day at the swimming hole and that your brother had a good birthday celebration.

Frozen carrots are a good idea, I´ve never given mine frozen fruit. Can you freeze melon or watermelon for them as well ??

Chris, I think you can freeze watermelon. I haevn't ever done it yet but it sounds like a good idea to me. Just make sure there are no seeds when you do it!

So we didn't go to the swimming hole because my brother said that the river was too cold. So we are going to go on another warm day.

I'm eating cheesecake as I type this. Its SO good! My mother is a great cook! :)

I didn't get any pics of the watermelon plants yet. I'll get them a bit later when it cools off some. Its still pretty hot!

Oh and I just finished the dragons tail. I'll keep at it so hopefully it'll be done soon!

So we didn't go swimming today. But we'll go on another warmer day.

Sorry I didn't get any pics of my watermelon plants. I'll get them tomorrow. I'm SO tired! :yawn:

Oh and I just wanted to add, the moon is supposed to look biggest these next couple of days including today. I looked outside and it does seem a little bigger looking.

Also when I was out it was so bright outside I could see the trampoline and the tent easily. It was cool!

I'm going to get a picture of the watermelon plants today.

It was hot out, its still kind of hot but not that hot now. We didn't go swimming but we will sometime in the next few days.

I've got some more of my crochet dragon done. I hope it'll be done soon. I think it'll look cooler than any other dragon I've made because it will have real webbed wings.

I wanted to tell you guys that there is a guy we know and he has a bunch of kittens like 25 of them. He has a female cat and she's constantly giving birth to kittens. And than those kittens give birth to more kittens when they get older. So he has a bunch of cats that just run around the place catch mice and have kittens. Anyway, he said that he has too many kittens roaming the place and so he's going to kill them! :( I was shocked when I heard that. These kittens are like wild cats that are afraid of you and hard to train. So he says that if I can catch some of them I can keep them to save them from being killed. So that's what I'm going to do. My parents say that I can only catch 3 of them so that's what I'm going to do. I'll see if I can convince them to get some more kittens. Or maybe I should just catch as many as I can and let them go, at least they'll have a better chance of surviving. Or maybe I can ask some shelters to take them in. But most of the kittens would probably get killed at the shelters anyway. Its SO sad!!! :(

Well thanks for letting me vent that out. I'm still shaking at the thought of them all being killed. :(

You might be able to call a cat rescue in your area and they could come get them. BUT I know how it it in WV and Tennessee, there is no rescue, there is no humane society, there are just kill shelters. And then there are people like that guy who have 25 cats because they didn't get the original mama cat fixed. Then the vets are SO expensive that no one can afford the costs because most of the people there are on the lower income than most of the other states. The vets don't make money so they jack the prices up to make a profit, but they barely make a profit because its just too much for the people to pay for their animals. So the people let the animals suffer, feeding cheap dog food and cat food, then setting the animals free to fend for themselves, getting hit by cars and being attacked by predators.
Thats how it goes in a lot of places like that. You get back in a holler and you get stuck back there, mining coal or working at the Food City.
Sorry. My mom lived in a holler in Tennessee and it was terrible. ALL the dead dogs on the sides of the roads, all the wild dog packs. The vet situation was either non-existent or too much to pay for. I know how it goes in areas like that though. I'm sure its the same way where you are Elise, no offense to you though! I know you're not from West Virginia though, and theres nothing you can do to help the state!
But I hope that you can get a few cats and save them! I hope you're able to get them spayed and neutered so they stay around your house and they don't have anymore babies. They'll have a good life with you! I would try to get the smaller babies, that way they're easier to tame than the big ones. But anyone that you get will be good because it will be saved.
I would try to leave them in the house for a month or so so it understands that you're trying to help and you love them. Then if you wanted to put them outside you could. Just make sure it knows where the food is. Even if you can't touch them and they just come to eat, its a better life than what they were living.

Do you ever see wild dog packs? My husbands friend is from WV and he said that he always saw wild dog packs running the back roads. There would be like german shepherds and pit bulls and chihuahua's and mixes. They all joined each other and would hunt and scavenge together. But he said some packs would be SO wild that they would attack your car in a really desolate area and they were highly aggressive because they were SO wild. He said it was insane.
Sorry, its one of the down sides of living in the country and it does bother me.

Elise, I hope your brother enjoyed his birthday! Yummy! I love cheesecake!

I wish you the best in catching & rescuing those kittens! I wish people would take the responsibility & care for the animals in their care & not treat them as a possession. They are living creatures that have feelings & suffer pain. Those kittens didn't ask to be brought into the world but when he got a female cat & didn't get her fixed he caused the problem of too many cats/kittens, not the cat or kittens! Sometimes I wish we could do the same thing to the people that want to do things to their animals. Sorry about the rant but animals can't do anything but people can do anything to animals. If an animal kills a person, they police & wildlife services come out & track it down & kill it. Sorry, I'm stopping my rant now.

Oh, I can't wait to see your dragon! You do such beautiful crochet work!

Its been very warm & sooooo humid here! Yuck! Would be wonderful weatherwise if it weren't so humid! Summer has officially arrived here. Hope your watermelons do well!

Morgan, you are right we don't have any good humane societies around here. They are mostly just kill shelters. :( and I agree, why do vets have to jack up the prices so people like that can't pay. If they truly care for animals why make the prices so high. The best vet we have here is like an hour and a half away. We don't have any animal places around here. Yeah, I think I'll try to take the younger kittens. Right now the little kittens are too young to be taken from their mothers so I'll have to wait like 2-3 weeks before I can get them. I hope nothing bad happens to them in the meantime.

I don't think I've ever seen a wild dog pack yet. I've only been here for like a year and a half now. One time when I was dumping the garbage I saw 2 dogs and one black pig running around with each other. I don't know if that was a pack or not, especially with a pig in the middle, lol. One dog had a collar though. I don't remember if the others had collars.

Tauntz, I agree, they didn't ask to be brought in to this world. He made the mistake of allowing them to be brought here. Its not their fault. He should take full responsibility for his cats. He should get the females spayed and the males neutered. Its not fair for the poor kitties to loose their lives for his mistake. They should get a chance to live in this world. Its really not fair! I can't believe he would kill them just because there are too many. It so sad!

Thanks for the compliments on my crochet work! I hope to get that dragon done soon.

Its been hot here ever since May. I can't wait till fall its the perfect season, not too cold, not too hot.

Anyway, when the kittens get old enough I'll try to catch some of them. The guy who runs the farm has some people helping him and the don't want the kittens to be killed either so they will be happy to help me catch them.

I'm hoping that some of the older kittens who are already fending for themselves can get away. They seem like good hunters so they would probably be able to feed themselves. One time when we were renting a house we had a wild cat that was really good at hunting and he didn't ever get sick. He also was friendly with us.

Anyway, thanks for the good lucks! I'm hoping to catch some of those kittens. Maybe I can convince my parents to let me take in 5 or 6. They didn't really tell me how many I could catch. My dad just said maybe I'll take 3 kittens to the guy.

Yes, & why don't vets offer spays at a lower or at cost for people who they know can't afford a high vet bill or allow to make payments. One of my mother's neighbors got a cat & just let it go so it stayed at my parents. That cat kept having kittens & my mom not wanting them to starve kept feeding the cat. So I called a couple of vet clinics I knew, explained the situation & asked about the cost to spay her if we could catch her. They wanted an outrageous sum! Needless to say my mother nor I could afford to spay the cat & she kept having kittens until something happened to her & we never saw her again. We would have gladly paid a reasonable smaller spay fee but we could not afford almost $300 for a cat that wasn't even our house pet! The no-kill shelters refused to take her even if we could catch her! So there was no help to help us with spaying the cat & at least trying to help keep the unwanted/no home kitten population down. Very sad. Sorry I seem to keep jumping back on this soapbox. :sad::rant::soapbox

I hope you can rescue some of those kittens. Otherwise, I would be inclined to call a shelter for them anyway. They may still get put down at the shelter, but in my opinion it's worlds better doing it humanely that way than however the person who owns the farm intends to do it.

Tauntz, I agree, some vets are just all for the money. If I was a vet I truly care for animals so if someone had an animal that they couldn't pay for I'd take the animal in anyway and help it. I don't see why vet care shouldn't be cheaper. Some vets just don't care for animals, just money. Although I'm sure there are a lot of vets who do care for animals as well.

Azerane, I might just do that. I have no idea how he intends to kill them but I don't want to even think about it. I don't see why he can't just leave them alive. They aren't doing any harm to him. Its so sad!! :(

Last edited:
Yesterday we went to the swimming hole. It was really warm. And the river rushed really fast. It was hard to swim upstream, lol.

There's going to be an art contest that's ending in the next few days. I'm going to enter some of my crochet work in to it since you can win some money.

Its warm out, not very hot though. Its a good temperature.

Oh and tomorrow is tooth pulling day :/ I'm not looking forward to it. I'll just go tomorrow and get it over with.

Now I'm going off to make the legs of my dragon since I'm going to enter it in the art contest.

Happy Tuesday!

Actually I'm not getting my tooth pulled tomorrow, I switched appointments with my father again. It'll help me work on my projects without having to think about it so its good for me as well as my father.

Latest posts

Back