Asbo bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosleybun

Reaction score
So I have had Bosley for 18 months who is a neutered male house bunny. He hates being stroked or picked up though he will take food out of my hand, whilst grunting. I've spent hours trying to bond with him but he is very anxious and hates people and always seemed sad/angry. In an attempt to cheer him up I had a female spayed now 8months, Bleu, very different personalities. Bonding attempts have been aggressive. They are ok in the car. But Put them in the bath and it ended in a fight. So split them for a week completely though he wouldn't eat. I now have them separated in the conservatory, swapped toys and trays. After another week opposite each other I tried again in a neutral space within 3 minutes a fight broke out. If each time they have met they have fought,all
so far, I am unable to get any positive interactions is this time to call it a day?

Some bunnies won’t fit together other times it can take way longer. Personality chemistry is really important between bunnies. You can try to see if it help living next to each other but they can hurt each other. When your boy start to flop and they start to interact and want to groom each other, you can try bonding again. It’s the slow approach instead of stressing a bond to happen.

Myself own a bunny that only got cuddled after owning him for more than a year. But if he see a bunny he attacks first. So he will be a bunny that will be hard to bond with other bunnies. Not liking stroking and pats from humans can be something he have experienced or it’s just a part of his personality. For my boy it’s experience but he have started to interact with other people now after having him for 2 years. Totally a slow process spaning over years instead of months to get where I am.

But it comes down if you have the energy and time.

Some bunnies won’t fit together other times it can take way longer. Personality chemistry is really important between bunnies. You can try to see if it help living next to each other but they can hurt each other. When your boy start to flop and they start to interact and want to groom each other, you can try bonding again. It’s the slow approach instead of stressing a bond to happen.

Myself own a bunny that only got cuddled after owning him for more than a year. But if he see a bunny he attacks first. So he will be a bunny that will be hard to bond with other bunnies. Not liking stroking and pats from humans can be something he have experienced or it’s just a part of his personality. For my boy it’s experience but he have started to interact with other people now after having him for 2 years. Totally a slow process spaning over years instead of months to get where I am.

But it comes down if you have the energy and time.
Thank you so much for your reply. I have had Bosley since he was 8 weeks and he has not changed though he is less aggressive. I have had him recently fully checked to see if he was poorly but he's in good health, it's his personality. I just want him to be happy though feel this is making him worse.

It is true that sometimes 2 rabbits simply refuse to get along. But it honestly seems a bit premature to assume they can't bond (if I'm reading you correctly). I'm understanding that, aside from the car ride, they've met once in a tub and they fought. Then, after a week apart (swapping items) they met in a different space and fought again. Is this all correct?

The size of the space can play a roll in bonding. Also, is the neutral space a place where neither rabbit has ever placed their paw? How severe did they fight (ie. how were you able to stop them)? Bonding can be complex.

The following link has a pretty thorough discussion on bonding and explains the different approaches one can take. It may offer some insight so you can decide whether or not you think you've given it enough effort. Ultimately it will be up to you to decide what amount of effort will outweigh the potential outcomes.
http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Latest posts

Back