Arthritis or...? (messy bottom)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
If Peanutwas as young as the shelter said she was when we adopted her, she'll besix years old in a couple weeks. She's still fairly spry, and doesn'tseem to have any pain or reluctance to hopping or running around. Butshe's had some issues with messy bum that recently took a turn for(possibly) the worse.

Let me back up by saying she has always been prone to loose stools, andas she gets older can tolerate less and less. We've had to limit freshveggies recently, so now she eats mainly low-protein pellets andunlimited grass hay. When she would have loose stools, we had to cleanher butt constantly. Without them, she still needs occasionalcleaning because she manages to get cecotrophs stuck to her tail. Am Igrossing y'all out yet? I swear this is going somewhere.

Sooo, we haven't had any particularly loose stools OR problems withcecotroph cling-ons lately. Aside from some soft poos that get squishedinto the floor (thank God it's tile) she has perfect litterboxhabits.

Yesterday, I noticed her bum was dirty. I mean really, really dirty,with poo and pee. She is fastidiously clean everywhere but herbum, and while she's always kinda been that way (she was seriouslyoverweight when we adopted her), this is unusual. I don't think it'sincontinence, because she's not having accidents
confused-smiley-013.gif

All that to say, could it be arthritis? Or are there other things I should be concerned about?

My bunny-loving best friend is coming over later, and she's goingto help me clean Peanut's bum. I'm also going to make some gratedlitterbox covers, just in case this is from sitting in the dirtylitterbox while she eats hay. I would hate for her to get messy andthen not be able to clean herself :(

It could be arthritis, but it could also be aUTI or something else. Sometimes poopy butt symptoms comeback with a vengeance for no visible reason. She could use acheck from the vet to make sure she doesn't have any otherconditions. If she does have arthritis, I know thatglucosamine has been used successfully with rabbits. It easesthe symptoms.

Give that girl a nose rub for me!

The mess isactually above her tail:huh Would that be consistentwith a UTI? (I've never experienced them with rabbits, only cats)

Here's a pic; it's wet and matted, but to be honest, cleaner than itwas earlier because her Rex-furred loverboy gave her a little bathtoday :bunny17 I'll still be washing her bum later to remove all of theicky stuff :yuck

She's just a slob? :dunno

She does have one of those "butt ruffles", a large fold of skinand fur that covers her tail when she sits up. She's never had aproblem cleaning under it before, but it does require some measure offlexibility. So maybe she's starting to have issues reaching down there?

At any rate, I think the grates will help. Otherwise Peanut and mommyare going to have regular butt grooming time
:tongue

m.e. wrote:

OKAY NOW?!?!?!....Why didn't we know about this before??????
Lookit that clean tushie!!!!
It's certainly got to be less stressfull than tushie baths, baby oil, trimming, etc.

Must feel good if it's irritated, too!

I'm gonna try this. Brindle and S'more are both poopie-butts by reputation.

Did you use cornstartch or the cornstarch babypowder? I've got both.

~Jim

I just usedcornstarch, like you'd find in the cooking section. Used it liberally,but it didn't take that much to clean her up. I would work it in, brushout the really nasty spots with an old toothbrush, and then went overthe whole thing with their rubber brush. Voila!

And I feel the same way, why didn't I know about this before?!?

Great stuff, I've been recommending it to everybody :bunnydance:

You know, Jim, I'm not sure. We didn't have any large poop matts this time around :dunno

m.e., I'm sorry to hijack your thread but I'm wondering if you think the cornstarch would help clean this bum:

Andysbum.jpg

Andysbum2.jpg

Andy, my obviously unneutered foster bunny, has a dirty bum off andon. Do you think I could use cornstarch on this *ahem*delicate area to help clean it?

It certainlycouldn't hurt. It might even feel good for the little guy to have his,erm, area clean and dry. Peanut freaks when we try wet washingher bottom, but she sat relatively still (while my friend held her in atowel) as I washed her with the cornstarch.

Well I think I"ll give it a try then.I just wanted to make surethe cornstarchwasn'tgoing to make his testicles go "shoomp" right up into his body; neverto be seen again. *L*

Thanks m.e.!

:rofl:

I think it will probably feel quitesoothing 'cause it's basically the stuff they make baby powder out of.Good luck!

Latest posts

Back