Argh- rabbits are expensive

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a studio apartment on the second floor with a bunny in a large city. I've got no room for a bail of hay. Thanks for the suggestion.
I’m in NYC so I feel you on the price and storage! Some things I have found to consider. Small Pet Select has auto ship program for additional savings. I get a 10lb box (lasts 6mos) which can fit under most beds or in a plastic storage bin in my closet is $34 inc tax and flat shipping. I get a 40lb bag of pine pellets for his litter like $12. No tractor supply by me of course but a few of the hardware stores I can order online and ship to store for pick up if you Google brand America’s Choice Equine Pellets. I have these rolling Iris bin and use them for litter, pellets

Attachments

• CD35F241-31AC-4E98-96D1-05D02B110AB3.png
    CD35F241-31AC-4E98-96D1-05D02B110AB3.png
    308.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 9CC94036-85E3-4519-BB74-058925DB9669.jpeg
    9CC94036-85E3-4519-BB74-058925DB9669.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 5
I’m in NYC so I feel you on the price and storage! Some things I have found to consider. Small Pet Select has auto ship program for additional savings. I get a 10lb box (lasts 6mos) which can fit under most beds or in a plastic storage bin in my closet is $34 inc tax and flat shipping. I get a 40lb bag of pine pellets for his litter like $12. No tractor supply by me of course but a few of the hardware stores I can order online and ship to store for pick up if you Google brand America’s Choice Equine Pellets. I have these rolling Iris bin and use them for litter, pellets
10 pounds last you 6 months 😮 35 pounds at most lasts me two months with two bunnies.

The place I go I get a 5 pound box of hay for 12 dollars! and a big bag of pettets for seven! I get it from tractor supply I beleive!

Still cheaper than medium and large dogs imo

We have a Newf that topped out at 160 lbs! and a labradoodle at "just" 65lbs.

The rabbits still cost much more to maintain IF we bought pet store litter and pet store hay, and purchased daily greens. But if we used wood pellets for litter, bought hay by the bale (huge bale), and grew a garden, then we were able to greatly reduce costs. Without doing all 3 of those cost-saving tips, the rabbits cost more.

The rabbits still cost much more to maintain IF we bought pet store litter and pet store hay, and purchased daily greens. But if we used wood pellets for litter, bought hay by the bale (huge bale), and grew a garden, then we were able to greatly reduce costs. Without doing all 3 of those cost-saving tips, the rabbits cost more.
Agree!

Hmmm, the difference of opinion might be the plurality - I'm coming from the perspective of just one rabbit, and she's a Mini.

I have 4 lawnmowers that go through 30lbs of hay a month. 30lbs of hay costs about $150. I started to grow my own oat/wheat/rye grass for the kids to save money on lettuce. ( a puny head of lettuce costs $5 and they will finish that in 2 meals). I would guess 4 bunnies cost about $200-250 a month for me.
I have a medium sized dog (40lb) and she probably costs about $200 a month
Haha so 4 buns = 1 medium sized dog cost wise :D

3 25kg bags of pellets per year, 25€ each - 75€
12 bales of hay, 4€ each, 48€
One bag of barley, 15€
4 bags of wood stove pellets as litter, 5€ each,- 20€
Some oatmeal.
About 180€ per year for food.

That's pretty much it. For 6-25 rabbits. (Yesterday I had 15, now it's a bunch more, Chantal gave me a surprise). I feed mostly fresh forage whenever available, , let them graze whenever feasable, make a third of the hay I need myself.

In winter I feed hay, trees, topinambur, apples, and if I can get it cheaply carrots and cabbage (that would be another 30€ maybe).

Well, and then there are vet costs. The most I paid was 300€ for an emergency spay of a 7yo doe with a kit stuck all night after a surprise litter (I get a too many of those...), normally a vet visit is 50-70€ and happens once or twice a year.

Curious on this... what costs $200? Are you feeding a "fresh" diet of real meat? Is she on expensive meds? Just trying to figure that out.
Oh yeah sorry I should clarify she is 13 so probably a bit more expensive then a younger dog.
The big bag of kibble that lasts the month is about $120
Toppers for the kibble to keep it interesting about $20 for the month
Duck tenders (dehydrated duck) is about $20-30
And then her Glucosamine powder $90 (but this lasts more like 3 months)
Thats a basic breakdown of her monthly costs not including any toys, chews or extra treats.

Curious on this... what costs $200? Are you feeding a "fresh" diet of real meat? Is she on expensive meds? Just trying to figure that out.
$150, give or take, in dog food is about typical per month for a 50lb dog in my experience. Then add treats and chews. Easily $200/month right there with nothing else accounted for. Between all food and litter costs my rabbit accounts for about $200/month as well. I find the "extras" cost more for dogs. Add another rabbit and I can definitely see how they're more expensive than medium and possibly large dogs.

Yowza on those costs! :eek:
@MooseMouse those are Canadian dollars so $120 canadian dollars is what?..about $95 US dollars. She's well taken care of!

A month of dry dog food for my 2 large dogs costs me about $30 (50lb). I tried a more expensive brand but they got stinky! I rarely do treats or extras because it makes them have gas 🥴. One's favorite toy is (free) empty plastic bottles -- until he gets the top off. The other loves tennis balls. Sooo pennies on toys if one divides into monthly costs.

My 14 year old labradoodle gets daily benadryl for allergies, but I get a generic bottle of 600 tabs for $9 on Amazon-- enough to last more than half the year.
1653686306483.jpeg

Ooh... I almost forgot. I do splurge on having a mobile dog groomer come. That's something newer that I do but I could save if I did it myself. That's about $200 for the 2 of them every 3 months-ish.

WAIT WHAT? 10 pounds should run out at 3 months at most. No offense, but are you sure your giving your rabbit enough hay?

I have a 50 pound and it lasts me about a year, i think

Latest posts

Back