Argh- rabbits are expensive

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, animals are not cheap. A good thing to do though is go to like a dollar tree or dollar general. Depending on where you live you might not have a store like that. At dollar places you can get water bowls, litter boxes, ( you can also use small storage bins\containers) don't get treats that are not natural, like things with yogurt, and bad ingredients. You can also get pet beds, and stuff to put on the wall where your rabbit chews, some rabbits like playing with plastic baby toys, you can get jars for your rabbits treats and pellets, and storage bins that you can use to store hay.

Well the hay is coming today $60.
Going to store to get pellets and chew cubes. $20
Palm leaf bowls coming tomorrow. $20
Who ever said rabbits are cheap.

I definitely NEVER did! :p

I can't even say how many thousands of dollars have been spent on my rabbits 'general' care and vet bills over the last decade. The payoff is knowing all the worry and care provided them with a good and happy life.

Healthy stuff will be more expensive. If you want to give you rabbit a loving caring home, it is going to be expensive. Your rabbit will depend on you for hay, food, water and a loving caring home. How old is your rabbit? And when did you get him\her?

Where do you get your hay from and how much is in there? How long does it last? I've never ever spent that much on hay for the three total years i've had rabbits.

Where do you get your hay from and how much is in there? How long does it last? I've never ever spent that much on hay for the three total years i've had rabbits.
I get the hay from the hay farm. I get a 5 or 10 lb box. It lasts about 2 months. It's really fresh. It beats the $10 package from petco or Walmart.

Healthy stuff will be more expensive. If you want to give you rabbit a loving caring home, it is going to be expensive. Your rabbit will depend on you for hay, food, water and a loving caring home. How old is your rabbit? And when did you get him\her?
I don't know how old she is. I think she's really old. She was rescued from a rabbit rescue by a rabbit rescue. She spent 6 months there. She dosent explore, always uses her litter box including nuggets. She flinched when I pet her so I think she was abused. She's getting the best. I don't think I'll have her long. I've had her 6 mo. She's just started going completely flat when sleeping. I'm glad I can help this little lovable varmint in her old age.

Woow i guess it's just the vast difference of economies and pricing i guess? 60$ for 5kg of hay? Did i get that right?
I get a bale of roughly 10kg for 1€ which lasts two lawnmowers ~roughly~ a month, actually a bit more, as i haven't really marked it down.

Also, what are you using the palm leaf bowls for?

Yep, California is pricey. You're in Europe somewhere. Buns can eat palm leaf plates. I'm going to change out her pellet bowl for the palm leaf. She takes that bowl and dumps it in her sleeping area and munches all night aka potato chips in bed. Lol so maybe she'll eat the bowl too. More roughage, better digestion.

Part of the expense is the shipping cost. So for $35 of hay I can spend $35 in shipping.

You could save a ton by buying hay by the bale. I mean a bale as in photo below. Feed stores carry it. A full bale like that will easily last over 8 months for two rabbits (being overly generous). Probably any feed store will carry it. A quick search found this one:
http://hmbfeedandfuel.com/index.html
They have a bale of oat hay for $18. A bale of grass hay $29. Higher than most of the country but still incredibly cheap compared to pet stores or online.

1652467473383.jpeg

I see. I have heard of some people going in together on a bale of hay and splitting it up. Just a thought if you know of other rabbit owners. Or, as cheap as a bale is, you could take from the bale whatever you can reasonably store and donate the rest to a rabbit rescue (or even trash it for that matter). Either way, you'll get more hay for a lesser cost.

I get a bale of hay (35lbs) for $6. I splurge on pellets (10lbs for $40) and buy greens in bulk, so only about $5 a week. I do splurge on toys, but this is about every three months (so $50-100) But I save on litter, getting 40lbs of horse stale pellets for only $6. I am lucky to live on the east coast where horse land is everywhere, meaning lots and lots of cheap hay, but there is ways to get down your cost!

Thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars x almost 20 years. Costs since 2003 involve Rescue Efforts to spay and neuter, purchase ex-pens and ample-sized housing needs, provide proper nutrition (not junk fruit-loops feed), access to a hay variety, DVM bills for tooth trims, gut stasis visits, lab work, hospice care for special needs', inappetance from moulting that includes xrays to diagnosis and treat with gut motility med cisapride - some of the expenses to care for these innocent, quiet, charming and delightlul pets! i.e., provide the best possible care with stimuation toys, chew toys, bunny-proofing,

Yup, Make Sure you are thinking ahead when you welcome a new bun into your home.

Forums I visit continually list rabbits that need to be rehomed. Let's hope humans with years of experience will always educate the novice individual.

Captured after hiding out underneath the property owner's pick-up truck. Talon wounds in his back. AVoided being killed by a raptor. Someone abandoned this bun. We treated for the parasitic infection and sp/eutered. He now has a forever loving home but it costs money to have a pet.

Yup, @BunLover and @JBun , it is rewarding to bestow kindness and know you make a difference in the lives of innocent pets. We laugh at the silly things they do when they trust their caregivers and respond.

Attachments

• CapturedBB_InSamsTruck_july182020_RS.jpg
    CapturedBB_InSamsTruck_july182020_RS.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 5
This is my outside litter box. It has romaine, mint, comfrey, and other good rabbit stuff to eat. I pee and poop in it when I'm outside.

Attachments

• IMG_20220514_120230.jpg
    IMG_20220514_120230.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back