Are they really bonded?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler
Reaction score
Merlin and Sasha have been living together for over 2 months with no fighting or disagreements. I wouldn't say they're inseparable but they do sit and loaf side by side in their cage sometimes, and seem comfortable together. They give each other head grooms often, and Sasha loves sitting with her head tucked tightly under Merlin's chest/chin like a possessive little girlfriend. :p

But there are some things that don't seem to feel as perfect as Merlin's bond with his late brother. For instance, Merlin's made a habit of suddenly deciding to chase Sasha while growling. He does this 3-4 times a day, during the 6 hours or so that they get to be out of the cage. It only lasts 2 seconds tops, but it's intense, bunny-500-fast and growly. Sometimes he does it when she's grooming his face (ungrateful bugger!), sometimes when she just hops by him.

Also, sometimes they bite each other on the bum. Sasha has a hard go of it due to Merlin's infinite fluffiness, but I occasionally see her trying. Merlin does it to her too. It seems to be a brief burst of jerkiness, I can't see any reason they'd do it.

When let out, it also seems like given the choice neither wants to lay near the other. I'd frequently find Merlin flopped in one spot with Sasha exploring the other side of the room, and vice versa. Rosebun (brother) and Merlin used to spoon, lie all mushed up, lie ON each other....even at the height of puberty when they were sparring and humping and having throwdowns - they just loved each other no matter what and never ever chased, growled or nipped.

Why is that missing from Merlin and Sasha? :tears2:

Can I really consider them bonded or are they more like reluctant roommates?

Last edited:
Sorry, missed this :p

They're bonded. Even with rabbits, relationships are going to vary. Some will be all loved up with each other like Merlin was with his brother, then there will be what he and Sasha have, where they don't adore each other but still like each other well enough to groom and occasionally lay by each other, though also need their own space at times and have bouts of grumpiness. Relationships can also change with time, and you may find that as they have been together longer, that Merlin will settle down and be more comfortable with Sasha.

Thanks! :)

I get the sense that the relationship is a bit skewed to one side. Sasha's never had a bunny friend before and is just lapping it up as much as she can, always demanding head grooms from Merlin, will totally ignore all humans if he's around, etc. Whereas Merlin is okay with Sasha but believes she'll never replace his brother. He's always been a bit extra grumpy since Rosey's death. :( I don't think he'll ever get over it.

It's good to know that they're not unhappily forced together though, thanks Jenny.

Latest posts

Back