Are they Bonded Already?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are they bonded?

• Yes! You're good to go!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, I'd wait a bit longer!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello everyone! A few weeks ago I adopted the lovely Romeo! I already had my bun Daisy for over a year and thought she would love a partner, (both are fixed). We did speed dating at our local rabbit shelter narrowed it down to two bunnies and Romeo truly did win Daisy over with loads of grooming and kisses. Their speed dating astounded us at how amazing it went. I didn't expect it to go that well at home, however it did.

Every date, Romeo and Daisy would cuddle in one of their litter boxes at the end. I started in the bathroom for a few days I did dates in the bathroom 2x a day for about 1 hour, sometimes longer because of how well it went. Then I moved them to the living room a room that Daisy knows quite well and Romeo was still getting to know (they were in a playpen though). This went well too though there were still a few nips from Daisy to Romeo and Daisy continuously tried to hump Romeo which he didn't seem to like very much. This didn't surprise me because it was Daisy's territory. After doing dates in the living room 2-3x a day for several hours, some of which I didn't even need to be in the playpen with them for I decided to join their two separate playpens that they stayed in, in my room, to make one big one, combining their territories together.

This transition didn't phase them at all. They quite enjoyed sniffing each others stuff (though I change out their blankets and swap them to the other playpen as well as their litter boxes daily). They were at this point always eating dinner together without any problems, however nipping/humping was still going on every once and awhile but if Daisy did that and I said "NO!" she would hop off and they would lie down next to each other.

Now, we did dates at night in which i'd leave them free roaming my room in a playpen together, the only place they couldn't get to was my bed. First few nights I'd get waken up by some running fast Daisy trying to nip him and I'd stop it and they'd go right into a litter box and continue eating hay together. All day they would spend together rather than apart if I was home they were together not separate, less nipping less humping occurred.

Now the past 2 days there hasn't been a single nip from either of the bunnies, no disturbances at night (they sleep together), and they free roam completely in the living room together all day. I'm hesitant to leave them alone together yet due to Daisy still trying to hump him, when she does this, he moves and she just stops really and continues eating hay or moves on to something else such as a toy.

Are these bunnies bonded now? Should I try to leave them alone for an hour or for 30 minuets? I don't know what to do! Or would leaving them alone be moving the process to quickly? ANY ADVICE!?

I've attached some images of my two buns! The black one is Romeo, and the gray and white one is Daisy.

Attachments

• IMG_2911.jpeg
    IMG_2911.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3136.jpeg
    IMG_3136.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3222.jpeg
    IMG_3222.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3229-1.jpeg
    IMG_3229-1.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3242.jpeg
    IMG_3242.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2838.jpeg
    IMG_2838.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 9
It sounds like you are good to go. We had the same worries the first time we left them (after them having spent nights together with us home). We've not had any issues since. If you're nervous, maybe start with small increments over an entire day with you out of the house. Good luck!

It sounds like you are good to go. We had the same worries the first time we left them (after them having spent nights together with us home). We've not had any issues since. If you're nervous, maybe start with small increments over an entire day with you out of the house. Good luck!
Thank you! Today im doing laundry so im going to leave them alone during this time! See how it goes! But, i'm going to a birthday party tonight and I think i'm going to keep them separate until I feel more comfortable

Latest posts

Back