Are these veggies safe !?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariana

Reaction score
I just bought, escarole, dandelion greens , cilantro, la kale , and red + green leaf lettuce. Those are a safe to feed daily right? I’m using the HRS food page. I want to try other veggies like arugula, water cress, bok Choy . Are those safe ? @Jess&Thumper

Those should all be safe I feed a few of them daily to my rabbit just see how your bun likes it and let him decide :)!

Just remember to only introduce one of those at a time. Try one for several days (assuming there is no reaction). If you don't see a change in poos after several days of the one type, then you know that your individual bunny tolerates that particular green.

Do the same with each one. Once you know which ones he tolerates, then you can begin offering them as a mixed variety.

They're all safe, including the three you haven't bought yet... just keep in mind that cruciferous veggies can cause gas in some rabbits, which can lead to GI stasis. Kale and bok choy, among other veggies, are cruciferous. It's usually not a problem, but occasionally a rabbit is more prone to gas. It's best to feed cruciferous veggies in moderation and when you're first introducing them, keep an eye out for reduced appetite or signs of tummy pain (like being hunched up)... if you run into trouble, simethicone is safe for rabbits and effective for gas - you can buy it in liquid form in the infant section of pretty much any grocery or drug store.

Latest posts

Back