Are these treats safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
I got treats from friends and from a Bunnies That Lunch Box for Theo for Christmas (I forgot about the treats so I'm just now asking 😂) and I wanted to check with y'all to make sure they are safe. I had heard that the rosewood mince pies were dangerous because they are compressed wood? Something about the wood expanding in the rabbit's stomach and causing gut upset?

Attachments

• 1613669873058.png
    1613669873058.png
    344.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 1613669885523.png
    1613669885523.png
    475.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 1613669898181.png
    1613669898181.png
    239.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1613669908678.png
    1613669908678.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 7
The country loops look ok, just make sure not to give him too many because they contain flaxseeds which are not too good for your bun. However, you should be able to feed him some every once in a while with no problem. And the mince pies seem to have safe ingredients, just make sure Theo doesn’t eat them for too long because of the wood expansion in his gut. Still the treats look overall fine, just don’t let them eat too much of them.

I don't think you should give the 'mince pies' to your rabbits, but the natural loops might be okay. Try to avoid any treats with seeds or non-natural sugars inside, or try to avoid pet store treats in general (except oxbow, oxbow is always okay for your rabbit!).

I think they would both be okay, in very small amounts. Maybe 3 times a week. I would recommend buying treats from smallpetselect.com This is where I also order my hay and natural toys for my bunny. They also have amazing dried blends which are a great treat for bunnies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all the responses! I wanted to clarify that I did not buy these treats for Theo, I got lots of rabbit stuff for Christmas, and some of the people who got me gifts didn't know what rabbits can and cannot have. I never buy pet store rabbit treats because they aren't normally safe, and it is better to give rabbits a small piece of fruit. Last year Theo had a scare with Gi Stasis and I put him on a very strict diet. If he ever does get treats it is dried or fresh fruit or homemade treats that I have made with all-natural ingredients.

I have been giving him tiny pieces of the Selective Naturals Treats and he loves them. I will stay far far away from the Rosewood Mince Pies! I'm very disappointed that Bunnies that Lunch would put that in their Christmas box :confused: It just proves that they really don't know much about rabbits.

I bought the Rosewood mince pies for my buns... and threw them away unopened after one of the other Rosewood Christmas “treats” sent my darling Gigi into stasis 😭 (well I’m 99% certain it was that anyway).

I think they mostly all have too much starch.

Both my buns are still on a super strict diet since she fell ill and I am still slowly reintroducing their veggies one by one. It’s been tough for them.

I also thought Rosewood were a trustworthy brand and that their festive creations were a cute concept, but it’s not worth the risk in my opinion. I’ll keep it sugar / starch free and simple for my girls from now on.

I have been giving him tiny pieces of the Selective Naturals Treats and he loves them. I will stay far far away from the Rosewood Mince Pies! I'm very disappointed that Bunnies that Lunch would put that in their Christmas box :confused: It just proves that they really don't know much about rabbits.
almost everything in the BTL Christmas box was unsafe. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

I also thought Rosewood were a trustworthy brand and that their festive creations were a cute concept, but it’s not worth the risk in my opinion. I’ll keep it sugar / starch free and simple for my girls from now on.
Rosewood is horrible, and it’s so upsetting that they’re so trusted.

Best treats for buns, greens and forage. A healthy treat and less likely to cause digestive issues like high starch/sugary foods. I don't know of an online co. here in the US(though there could be) except ones that do dried herbs for humans. But Galens garden in the UK has a variety of dried forage, herbs, and twigs available for herbivore pets, and has a good reputation last I knew. So those of you in Europe with access and looking for healthy fun treat alternatives, might be worth trying,

It amazes me that stores like PetSmart, Mr Pets, Bosleys, etc.. Sell such naive and harmful treats for buns! Products with sugar, corn, dairy...... And the uneducated consumer buys it!
I think it's animal abuse!

Dried willow leaves? From a weeping willow tree? Or do you buy them?

Weeping willow tree in my neighborhood. Unsprayed, away from the road. During the spring/summer I will clip off the new shoots on the branches and give the fresh branch and leaves to the buns, and they gobble them up. Then in the fall before the leaves change colors, I will strip the leaves off the branches and dry them. The later dried leaves must taste better, because I've fed both the fresh and dried at the same time, and they definitely love the dried a lot more.

Weeping willow tree in my neighborhood. Unsprayed, away from the road. During the spring/summer I will clip off the new shoots on the branches and give the fresh branch and leaves to the buns, and they gobble them up. Then in the fall before the leaves change colors, I will strip the leaves off the branches and dry them. The later dried leaves must taste better, because I've fed both the fresh and dried at the same time, and they definitely love the dried a lot more.
I'm going to ask my friend if I can do that, she has so many weeping willows! We were planning on planting some around our pond but I think my dad forgot.

It amazes me that stores like PetSmart, Mr Pets, Bosleys, etc.. Sell such naive and harmful treats for buns! Products with sugar, corn, dairy...... And the uneducated consumer buys it!
I think it's animal abuse!
IKR! I hate going to the pet store for that reason!

I do this too. Willow tree right outside my door in the park. Every day I give a small branch, in summer with leaves, in winter without. I don't bother drying. Always gratefully received :)

Latest posts

Back