Are These Toys Rabbit Safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyChickenGirl

Reaction score
Some family members got me rabbit toys for Christmas, but there are a couple of them that I want to double check are actually rabbit safe.
1.55ACD358-2B9F-4054-BC4B-E0CE29D03D84.jpeg
2.5B922E63-E733-4322-A57F-9F84CE87D8C8.jpeg
3.898C16AB-48B1-4DAD-9825-154FACDCF091.jpeg
4.71AC0482-FD72-4A95-BDAF-0255891FF9E3.jpeg
Thanks in advance!

That cornet one... is it shaped in what looks like an ice-cream cone? From what I saw in a search, the ingredients are typical crap junk...nothing in there that I would feed to a rabbit. Super high in fats and oils too.

I had a hard time finding the ingredients list for the strawberry smakers. The one I found on their website was in a box, not a bag but looked like the same thing. This also has junk not good for a rabbit... lots of wheat flour, corn flour -- not recommended. The 3rd ingredient is red sorghum but I don't know if that is the seeds, the stalk, the leaves. Sorghum stalk and leaves are toxic to rabbits. Seeds shouldn't be fed to rabbits. So I wouldn't feed that one either-- though you could pick out the dried strawberry pieces. Those specific pieces should just be plain dried fruit which is fine in limited amounts.

Or just buy hay cubes--we get them from Amazon now but originally got them at Petsmart.
Currently I have a very limited budget due to trying to save up to get my rabbits spayed and neutered so any toys I get are either free or given to me. That is a a great idea for cheap toys though.
That cornet one... is it shaped in what looks like an ice-cream cone? From what I saw in a search, the ingredients are typical crap junk...nothing in there that I would feed to a rabbit. Super high in fats and oils too.

I had a hard time finding the ingredients list for the strawberry smakers. The one I found on their website was in a box, not a bag but looked like the same thing. This also has junk not good for a rabbit... lots of wheat flour, corn flour -- not recommended. The 3rd ingredient is red sorghum but I don't know if that is the seeds, the stalk, the leaves. Sorghum stalk and leaves are toxic to rabbits. Seeds shouldn't be fed to rabbits. So I wouldn't feed that one either-- though you could pick out the dried strawberry pieces. Those specific pieces should just be plain dried fruit which is fine in limited amounts.
Thanks for the help. It’s too bad that so many companies don’t actually try to make their rabbit toys rabbit safe.
The chew toy is just fine. The colored blocks are safe.

"The 6" Nibbles Hay Chew Dumbbell has two large, compressed Timothy Hay chews which are a great source of fiber for any small animal. The beautiful plant based colored wooden shapes help..."
Yay!

@CrazyChickenGirl I'm not sure about the first photos, I never feed my buns anything in a bag except for pellets (with nothing else in them) or hay.
I suggest "making" toys for your buns with items you can get for free by taking a walk and " harvesting".

Willow branches make for good ties. Apple branches and blackberry leaves are also good items.
Boxes with holes cut out, toilet paper rolls filled with hay etc.

Many homemade toys you could make. Just do a Google search

Ours love paper rollers and egg cartons. One of our bigger bunnies loved paper bags and boxes.
I’ll have to try papers bags. Right now all of my rabbits have a pine cone, an apple tree branch, and a toilet paper roll filled with hay.
@CrazyChickenGirl I'm not sure about the first photos, I never feed my buns anything in a bag except for pellets (with nothing else in them) or hay.
I suggest "making" toys for your buns with items you can get for free by taking a walk and " harvesting".

Willow branches make for good ties. Apple branches and blackberry leaves are also good items.
Boxes with holes cut out, toilet paper rolls filled with hay etc.

Many homemade toys you could make. Just do a Google search
I’ve tried most of those, but using willow branches as ties is a great idea. I’ve tried using grass, but it doesn’t hold very well.

@CrazyChickenGirl willow branches are wonderful for ties 😍 because of their bendable quality and are a fav for buns.
I have also put "rings" together for throwing with a keychain ring and different sized canning rings. Mine love them!!
Then I have gone and bought a cat ball or two and I just make sure the buns aren't nipping bites out of it.

Tape boxes together with holes for them to in and out and the stronger the box the better for stacking etc.and a time consuming place to be if you sprinkle a few pellets around for them to smell out and get rewarded.
Gives them a place to hide, explore, hop, chomp etc.

@CrazyChickenGirl willow branches are wonderful for ties 😍 because of their bendable quality and are a fav for buns.
I have also put "rings" together for throwing with a keychain ring and different sized canning rings. Mine love them!!
Then I have gone and bought a cat ball or two and I just make sure the buns aren't nipping bites out of it.

Tape boxes together with holes for them to in and out and the stronger the box the better for stacking etc.and a time consuming place to be if you sprinkle a few pellets around for them to smell out and get rewarded.
Gives them a place to hide, explore, hop, chomp etc.
I’ll have to try some of those! I’ve done something similar with boxes. I stuffed a bunch of brown shipping paper in a box and cut a hole in it. I gave it to Opal my most destructive rabbit and it saved my wall from more destruction.

I totally forgot apple branches--never sprayed any of our fruit trees when we lived in California and all our bunnies especially loved the fresh cut branches--mostly the bark which was the first thing to go--also the pear trees. Had 14 trees total and five in the yard next door as my wife's mother lived there--we had fresh fruit and so did all our neighbors--big strawberry patch too.

there are lots of toys to nibble on this site. It's great, I bought some for my rabbit and he loves it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back