are these prices worth it? (tokihut, maze havens, wood hideys)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odyssey~

Reaction score
hello!

i'm looking for new things to buy for my bun, yet everything seems quite expensive and i'm not really sure if they're worth it. (prices below include shipping)

1- is it worth ~$100 CAD for a tokihut castle?
2- is it worth ~$70 CAD for a maze haven?
3- is it worth ~$110 for a cosy's castle with ramp?
4- do you have any better/cheaper alternatives?

thank you so much!

I think most rabbits would enjoy a regular used box just the same as a fancy, color-designed box.

I think most rabbits would enjoy a regular used box just the same as a fancy, color-designed box.
that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to get something nice for Odyssey since I wanted to redo her setup to make it a lil more aesthetic :) she always prefers the boxes packages come in rather than packages themselves lol

hello!

i'm looking for new things to buy for my bun, yet everything seems quite expensive and i'm not really sure if they're worth it. (prices below include shipping)

1- is it worth ~$100 CAD for a tokihut castle?
2- is it worth ~$70 CAD for a maze haven?
3- is it worth ~$110 for a cosy's castle with ramp?
4- do you have any better/cheaper alternatives?

thank you so much!

A lot of this will depend on you and your bunnies' situation and preferences. We spent so much money on toys and much of it ignored.

Are you buying them as a hidey space? Something to chew on? Something to destroy? Are you comfortable with cardboard debris? Do you want something that you would rather they not chew on and tidier (wood, fabric, etc.)?

For us, the cardboard castles were our best purchases because our buns loved to destroy. It also served as hidey holes and living space for them.

We've had the mini and regular maze havens, cottontail cottage, and the hopper hideaway. Our buns enjoyed (enjoy) them all.

My personal preference is towards the maze haven because I would reconfigure them every once in a while so my buns could have a new setup up explore. This is great for younger bunnies with lots of energy. When they were young, they also enjoyed the pet IQ toys (you can look online for dog or cat ones to save a few dollars). Baby toys, or things to toss or carry did not interest my buns much. Bells were fun for a day before they got bored. Pellet dispenser lasted a bit longer until one bun gave up.

My older buns don't explore anymore as much anymore, and prefer a setup similar to the cottontail cottage. (It's been destroyed, but we've got a maze haven in a similar setup.) They've slowed down a lot, and their idea of fun is running underneath covers and curtains.

They also like "Strawberry Pet House" as a soft, warm napping spot. They're ~$15-20 on eBay/Amazon nowadays.

They also enjoyed (and enjoy) the concrete form tubes to explore. We got them from Home Depot for ~$7-10. We had to be creative since there weren't as many options when we were starting out with our rabbits.

There's a lot more affordable options for toys nowadays. The collapsible cat tunnels are available at Dollarama for $3-5 and can be real fun for your buns. I think they might even have a mini cardboard hut.

Even plain cardboard boxes from No Frills will do. If you've got an Exacto knife, white glue, and time, you can make your own maze. We would add little newspaper curtains to the entrances. You can also build one from wood if you like. (Ours did not care for the wood ones.)

At the end of day, you know your rabbits best. As long as you give your buns love and care, they will be very happy.

I agree with mrbunny on the cat houses from the dollar store. They are 4$ and come in blue-gray and red/black my bunnies love them and they are easy to wash in case of an accident

Attachments

• AFCEDC6A-EC3C-4082-945F-F21DB77D7F82.jpeg
    AFCEDC6A-EC3C-4082-945F-F21DB77D7F82.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back