Are the seeds on hay ok for bunnies to eat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweets

Reaction score
hello :)

you know the hay seeds that are joined to some pieces of hay? Are they ok for bunnies to eat?? I've always been paranoid that if I let Sweets eat them he'll choke or get them stuck in his teeth....but today I put the bag of hay in my room and he jumped into it and started eating all the hay seeds!! He really seemed to enjoy them too. I think the hay we get is oaten hay.

I'm really happy he's loving his hay at the moment, last week he had GI stasis :shock: he's moulting ALOT and I don't think he was drinking enough water. I was so worried about him but he stayed at the vet for like 7 hours & they took excellent care of him. I'm syringe feeding him water everyday now to make sure he gets enough....he secretly likes it, hehe.

that was a bit off topic sorry, I'm just so happy he's back to his normal happy self now. :yahoo:

I'm pretty sure the oat hay was cut before the oat berries were very large. A full-grown oat berry/seed looks about the same as a wheat berry/seed. If you tried to eat them, you'd need strong teeth to not damage any teeth.

So yes they are ok. The seed heads are mainly the things surrounding the tiny oat berries inside.

Latest posts

Back