Are sand and diatomaceous earth safe for wild rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yossarian1000

Reaction score
I have a couple of bare patches in my lawn and I see wild rabbits taking sand baths there all the time. I was wondering, if I added some sand mixed with a little diatomaceous earth to those bare patches, would that safely help them with fleas. I also put out a couple of fresh carrots every day, and they seem to really enjoy that. I'll often find them waiting for me.

I would say keep going with the carrots but start super slow with the sand mix. It might cause a reaction on there skin so start slow.

I would say keep going with the carrots but start super slow with the sand mix. It might cause a reaction on there skin so start slow.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Plus, I'm concerned the DE might be too dusty, and that might cause a problem with their eyes and lungs. That's a concern for humans working with Diatomaceous Earth, too, so I'm thinking maybe mixing a small amount in with some sand might help with fleas without putting the wild rabbits at risk.

Make sure not to give too much carrot, as it's sugary
I wouldn't think wild rabbits would have a problem with that, but I'm making sure I don't overfeed them. My general goal here is simply to add to the quality of their lives, not to tame them or turn them into pets. I put out raw peanuts for our neighborhood Blue Jays, Cardinals, and a few Woodpeckers, and I do a bird count so I don't end up overfeeding them either. Just a treat, which they seem to really enjoy.

Latest posts

Back