Are rabbits with blue eyes more susceptible to vision problems?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectacles

Reaction score
Our rabbit has recently had 5 gorgeous little babies which have all turned out to have blue eyes, was wondering if they could be more susceptible to vision problems than other rabbits, I’ve heard that white bunnies with blue eyes may be, the babies are grey.

I've also heard only about red-eyed whites, I have two beautiful blue-eyed rabbits myself one year and a half and other is 10 months, never had any problems so far.

Also, if they just opened their eyes they may change eye colour from blue to darker, happened to my babies more than once. Same with human babies, my daughter was born with blue eyes like me and after a couple months they changed to greenish-brown like her fathers.

Forgot I also have one girl she's about 5 months old, her eyes are one blue and other half blue half brown but were both blue when she was born, very pretty. Both her parents had brown eyes, fathers eyes are almost totally black and mothers greenish brown

I have a blue eyed white lop, and he does seem to be more sensitive to sunlight and has a hard time navigating in the bright light. But I haven't noticed any other times where he seems to have vision difficulties. Not like my red eyed white rabbit. She did have vision problems. Did the typical REW vision scanning that they do, and would move her head around a lot trying to get a better look at things.

One thing that BEW can have issues with, is they can sometimes be more prone to the possibility of seizures. Just something to be aware of.

I've also heard only about red-eyed whites, I have two beautiful blue-eyed rabbits myself one year and a half and other is 10 months, never had any problems so far.

Also, if they just opened their eyes they may change eye colour from blue to darker, happened to my babies more than once. Same with human babies, my daughter was born with blue eyes like me and after a couple months they changed to greenish-brown like her fathers.

Forgot I also have one girl she's about 5 months old, her eyes are one blue and other half blue half brown but were both blue when she was born, very pretty. Both her parents had brown eyes, fathers eyes are almost totally black and mothers greenish brown
Thank you so much, I don’t think the babies eyes will change anymore as they have had their eyes open for a while and they started out much darker than they are now

I have a blue eyed white lop, and he does seem to be more sensitive to sunlight and has a hard time navigating in the bright light. But I haven't noticed any other times where he seems to have vision difficulties. Not like my red eyed white rabbit. She did have vision problems. Did the typical REW vision scanning that they do, and would move her head around a lot trying to get a better look at things.

One thing that BEW can have issues with, is they can sometimes be more prone to the possibility of seizures. Just something to be aware of.
Thank you so much, we try to keep the rabbits out of the sun as it is to reduce the risk of sun burn and such, I haven’t heard the seizure thing before but that is something to think about, do you think it could still affect them as they are grey not white?

I've never noticed any difference between how my blue-eyed and dark-eyed react to sunlight never thought about it honestly I will pay more attention now, thanks for your comment

Latest posts

Back