are rabbits scared of smoke?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_

Reaction score
We are having smoke blow in from forest fires and my rabbits are suddenly very stressed out they are digging, trying to get behind the couch, hiding, and chewing on things that they don't normally chew. Does the smoke trigger a built in reaction?

is there a way i could mask the scent with something like febreze?

is there a way i could mask the scent with something like febreze?
I would’nt to with a masking smell I would go with an odor absorber.
A rabbits nose is a lot stronger than a humans nose.
, and something pleasant like Febreze to you could be really irritating to a rabbits respiratory system.
I was actually looking at this cause my parents don’t really like the fact that my room smells like hay (oh well) 😆
I just don’t know if it’s bad for rabbits (but I doubt it) Activated Charcoal Air Purifying Bags 4 Pack Odor Absorber | Etsy
Activated Charcoal Air Purifying Bags 4 Pack Odor Absorber | Etsy

Some sort of air purifier would probably be a better option, to eliminate the particles themselves from the air. It's hard to mask the smell of smoke with scents, and it still leaves the cause of the smell circulating in the air.

Some sort of air purifier would probably be a better option, to eliminate the particles themselves from the air. It's hard to mask the smell of smoke with scents, and it still leaves the cause of the smell circulating in the air.
Make sure it’s not an ionizer 🙂

https://moonriverchattel.com/are-air- purifiers-safe-for-pets/https://www.rabbitair.com/blogs/air-purifier/47383941-are-air-purifiers-safe-for-pets
https://www.mypetneedsthat.com/best-air-purifiers-for-pets/

Last edited:
My Smoker (for cooking) is quite close to Dosidoe's hutch. I did notice she was concerned about it initially. She has gotten used to it over time. Now when I do outdoor cooking she sees it as another opportunity to get some forage picked for her.

today the air quality is not safe enough to even go outside. bubbles is freaking out and brownie is grunting and lunging at things. is there a way that I could calm them down?

It is an herb so you can buy it from the grocery store either fresh or dried, I think. I have some growing in my yard, so you could look around your yard and see if you can find any.

My rabbit has been on edge since the fires have been happening here in California. I've been keeping her at ease with some relaxing music on my Google Mini. It plays all day and I keep the windows closed.

Where there is smoke, there is fire. Natural reaction is to go to shelter. We're 400 miles away and our sky looks cloudy, but, it's smoke. The rabbits have the back bedroom, so it's not bothering them but my lungs, nose, and eyes are bothered. Good luck. A friend of ours lives in Pioneer and was lucky it went around him last year.

everything looks orange today with our 0.9 mile visibility

I built them a cardboard tunnel in between rooms so they don't feel like they are in the open and in danger

We're 400 miles away and our sky looks cloudy, but, it's smoke. The rabbits have the back bedroom, so it's not bothering them but my lungs, nose, and eyes are bothered. Good luck.

We've been seeing effects here as well this past week. Everything looks overcast, but even at ground level visibility is somewhat down. Can't see the mountains nearby as we normally can. Today is a bit better though.

I have air purifiers (hepa) running all the time anyway. Got them for a decent price on amazon.

Hey there, we are in Australia, but we had the bushfires really bad at the start of the year. My bunny (I only had one at the start of the year) is an outside bunny. We brought him inside, and kept him in just a small two storey enclosure, as air quality was horrific. We felt cruel putting him in this small small enclosure, but it seemed to help calm him down.

3M makes an electrostatic filter for use in home HVAC systems. It is a passive fllter that needs no power. It builds a charge with air flow through dissimilar materials, just like rubbing your stocking feet on carpet. Y'all might try using those in place of your normal air filters. They are easily trimmed to fit most duct work using household scissors. Electrostatic filters capture particles, like smoke, too small for regular filters. Turn your HVAC fan on continuous for best results while the wildfires present a problem.

Latest posts

Back