Are pine wood pellets safe for litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a different litter for my bunny to save on costs. I use paper litter, but would like to try wood pellets as they're very cheap to buy in bulk. So I've been doing some research, but noticed that most are made of pine. I heard pine was unsafe for rabbits and other small animals I've owned, so I've steered clear of it. However I've noticed a fair amount of people who use pine wood pellets for their rabbits, and it seems to work fine. So are pine wood pellets safe for rabbits?
If not, I'm curious what ya'll use for cost effective litter? Thanks!!

Wood pellets work great for litter!! The process used to pelletize the wood removes the phenols that can cause harm. It is pine shavings -- those that are not kiln-dried -- that can cause respiratory issues. Wood pellets should only cost roughly $7 for a 40lb bag and are perfectly safe. Top it with hay and you're good to go!
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/odor-free-home.html

Yes!! Like Blue Eyes said make sure they are kiln dried. I use a brand called canwick (I’m in Canada) and love them. I use them for my all my bunnies and cat. It’s very easy to clean, cheap and does not smell!

A lot of us use wood pine pellets. I've used them for probably 15+ years, without issue, and actually prefer them to any pellets with hardwood in them, as those don't seem as absorbent to me.

Just to clarify.... the pellets do not need to say "kiln-dried" since the process of pelletizing them is what makes them safe. Only shavings would need to say "kiln-dried."

I use carefresh paper bedding, do you think pine pellets would be better>

I use carefresh paper bedding, do you think pine pellets would be better>

Some people like the paper bedding. Rabbits usually like that it's soft. But I found it dusty(made me sneeze) and not all that effective at urine absorption or odor control. Wood pellets work the best of everything I've tried over the years. And topped with a layer of grass hay to make it softer for bunny feet, it works even better at controling the odor.

Though the soiled hay does need to be changed out, usually every 3-7 days. How soon depends on your climate and temperatures. You just don't want mold growth occurring. Higher temps and humidity will mean it needs cleaning out sooner, possibly even before the litter needs changing.

I'll usually spot clean my rabbits litter box every other day, scoop the noticable pee spots out(sawdust will be a darker saturated color) and scoop out any saturated hay spots. This keeps the litter box going longer before needing a full cleanout, and maximizes the litter life so I'm not just dumping out perfectly good litter. But I have the time to do this. Some people just prefer to save the time and dump the whole thing every 3-4 days, though a full cleanout may go up to a week, depending on how many rabbits are using it and the size of the rabbits.

Some people like the paper bedding. Rabbits usually like that it's soft. But I found it dusty(made me sneeze) and not all that effective at urine absorption or odor control. Wood pellets work the best of everything I've tried over the years. And topped with a layer of grass hay to make it softer for bunny feet, it works even better at controling the odor.

Though the soiled hay does need to be changed out, usually every 3-7 days. How soon depends on your climate and temperatures. You just don't want mold growth occurring. Higher temps and humidity will mean it needs cleaning out sooner, possibly even before the litter needs changing.

I'll usually spot clean my rabbits litter box every other day, scoop the noticable pee spots out(sawdust will be a darker saturated color) and scoop out any saturated hay spots. This keeps the litter box going longer before needing a full cleanout, and maximizes the litter life so I'm not just dumping out perfectly good litter. But I have the time to do this. Some people just prefer to save the time and dump the whole thing every 3-4 days, though a full cleanout may go up to a week, depending on how many rabbits are using it and the size of the rabbits.
Oh, thanks for the info!!

We sprinkle kiln-dried pine shavings over a generous layer of wood pellets. It is a combination that is odor-free.

Each day we cover the fresh bunny berries with another sprinkling of pine shavings. When the litter box gets full we dump onto the garden and start over. The buns love it and so do we.

Latest posts

Back